Printer Friendly

Coney Island's parachute jump frights again.

After seven years of planning, design and restoration by STV, the lights went on this summer and the magic returned to the Coney Island Parachute Jump at a festive ceremony at Coney Island, NY.

The iconic, landmarked Parachute Jump, at 277 feet and weighing 170 tons, was the nation's most famous vertical thrill ride from 1941 to 1969, when it closed permanently. It provided high drama to as many as half a million riders annually at Coney Island's Famous Steeplechase Park. Borough President Marty Markowitz has nicknamed the structure Brooklyn's Eiffel tower.

The New York City Economic Development Corporation, the Brooklyn Borough President's office, and the New York City Parks Department, were the clients for the project. STV, under project director Al Thompson, provided condition assessment, planning, design, structural rehabilitation and construction oversight services. Leni Schwendinger Light Projects Ltd. was the lighting consultant.

The Parachute Jump was modeled after parachute towers used by the military to train paratroopers in the 1930's and was originally featured at the 1939 Worlds Fair in Flushing Meadows, Queens. The chutes, with a two-seat sling for passengers, were hoisted up the 277 feet and released to be guided down by cables. The descent took between ten and fifteen seconds.

TOWER PROJECT FACTS

Height and weight: 277 feet and 170 tons

Construction material: steel framework

Design: said to resembles a massive, blooming metal flower sitting atop a long tapering stalk: Borough President Marry Markowitz has nicknamed the structure 'Brooklyn's Eiffel tower.

The Original Chutes: two-seater sling seats were attached to cables that, using electric motors, towed the passengers upwards to the top of the tower. When released, the chutes opened and were guided down by cables arranged to prevent swaying.

Future project possibilities: landscaping to tie the Parachute Jump in with the adjacent Brooklyn Cyclones (the Mets minor league) baseball park.
COPYRIGHT 2006 Hagedorn Publication
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:SPECIAL REPORT: PUBLIC WORKS
Publication:Real Estate Weekly
Date:Aug 16, 2006
Words:305
Previous Article:Approvals granted for project in Dover.
Next Article:Department of Housing okays Inwood rehabilitation.
Topics:


Related Articles
A soaring image.
A Yellow Brick Road to Coney Island retail?
Design competition aspires to revive Coney Island.
Coney Island pavilion design winners announced.
Coney Island's new windfall.
Coney Island vision is becoming a reality.
Circus sideshow czar latest addition to Coney Island Board.
Coney Island to get clean with Doe Fund/CIDC taskforce.
City seeking proposals for Coney Island amusement plaza.
Kelly to lead Coney Island board.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters