Composites comprising elastomer, layered filler and tackifier.
Issued: April 10, 2012
Inventors: Mun Fu Tse
Assigned: ExxonMobil Chemical
Key statement: The invention relates to rubber nanocomposites particularly suitable for innerliners and other tire applications. The uncured nanocomposite comprises an elastomer, tackifier and nanoclay. What is claimed is:
1. An uncured air barrier composition comprising an elastomer, silica and a resin in the amount of 1 to 50 phr wherein said resin has a molecular weight in the range of 500 to 6,000, a high glass transition temperature Tg relative to the elastomer, and is selected from hydrogenated or unhydrogenated hydrocarbon resins having units selected from the group consisting of cyclopentadiene and substituted cyclopentadiene.
2. The uncured composition according to claim 1, wherein said elastomer is selected from BIMSM, butyl rubber, bromobutyl rubber, chlorobutyl rubber, star-branched butyl rubber and mixtures thereof.
3. The uncured composition according to claim 1, wherein said elastomer is selected from at least one BIMSM.
4. The uncured composition according to claim 1, wherein said resin is present in the amount of from about 1 to about 25 phr.
5. The uncured composition according to claim 1, wherein said layered filler is selected from clays modified by intercalation or exfoliation by treatment with at least one modifying agent or swelling agent or exfoliating agent or additive capable of undergoing ion exchange reactions with the cations present at the interlayer surfaces of the clay.
6. A cured composition according to claim 1.
7. A tire inner liner or inner tube comprising the cured composition according to claim 6.
8. The uncured composition of claim 1, wherein the layered filler comprises at least one silicate selected from montmorillonite, nontronite, beidellite, bentonite, volkonskoite, laponite, hectorite, saponite, sauconite, magadite, kenyaite, stevensite, vermiculite, halloysite, aluminate oxides, hydrotalcite and mixtures thereof.
9. The uncured composition of claim 5, wherein the modifying agent is an amine with the structure [R.sup.2][R.sup.3][R.sup.4]N, wherein [R.sup.2], [R.sup.3] and [R.sup.4] are [C.sub.1] to [C.sub.30] alkyls or alkenes.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Patent News|
|Date:||Apr 1, 2012|
|Previous Article:||Process for producing conjugated diene polymer and rubber composition.|
|Next Article:||Effectiveness of a thermal protective coating for automotive components.|