Printer Friendly

Coma mum 'may have drunk window cleaner' Alcoholic died 50 days after collapse.

Byline: LOUISE ROSEINGRAVE

A WOMAN suspected of drinking window cleaner spent 50 days in a coma before she died.

Natalia Jelagina, who has a history of alcoholism, collapsed suddenly at her Dublin flat and was in cardiac arrest.

The 53-year-old's medical notes contain several references to the ingestion of window cleaner although her partner denied she had been drinking that day.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said: "It's certainly possible that she ingested something. Ethylene glycol is a cardio toxic substance."

Dublin Coroner's Court heard Ms Jelagina, a mother of one who was from Lithuania, came to Ireland in 2000.

Her husband had passed away and she was living with new partner Sergei Kuzmicius, off Buckingham Street in the capital.

In his deposition, he said the pair were at home when she collapsed on July 21, 2014. He told Dr Farrell the front door was open and Natalia had been outside for a cigarette.

Mr Kuzmicius added when she sat down on the couch, her head dropped toward her chest and she became unresponsive.

An ambulance was called and Dublin Fire Brigade also attended the scene. Ms Jelegina was in cardiac arrest and was taken to the Mater Hospital.

Following her death almost two months later, Garda Eric Fox of Mountjoy Garda Station asked the woman's partner if she had ingested window cleaner. Through an interpreter, Mr Kuzmucius said she had nothing to drink.

Garda Fox said there was a difficulty for officers because so much time had elapsed between Ms Jelegina's collapse and her death on September 11, 2014.

The court heard it was not plausible to search the flat for evidence of window cleaner given the time that had passed.

The woman's GP Dr Mel Bates described her as a ''lovely lady despite all her difficulties''.

The Mater's General Medical Consultant Dr Jack Lambert said after she was admitted the victim was having seizures that were difficult to control.

He told the court there was evidence of alcohol ingestion and hypoxic brain injury. Ms Jelegina never regained consciousness. Dr Peter del a Harpe-Golden, who carried out the postmortem, gave the cause of death as bilateral bronchial pneumonia.

Doctors found Ms Jelegina had a blood alcohol level of 172 mg at some point after her admittance to hospital but the exact date of this reading was unknown.

She had a low level of ethylene glycol in her system, a substance not naturally occurring in the body, the court heard.

Returning an open verdict, he added it was not entirely clear what had caused the woman to collapse.

The coroner said: "We don't know the cause of the cardiac arrest and there is some indication she may have taken ethylene glycol but I can't put it any higher than a possibility."

news@irishmirror.ie

It's possible she ingested something. Ethylene glycol is toxic DR BRAIN FARRELL dublin coroners court

COPYRIGHT 2016 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Geographic Code:4EUIR
Date:Feb 25, 2016
Words:478
Previous Article:Today's TV.
Next Article:I picked baby girl with IVF says Chrissy.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters