Collins: I'd no contact with Davy.
Byline: MICHAEL SCULLY
CLARE football boss Colm Collins has revealed there was no contact between himself and Davy Fitzgerald before his sons Padraic and Sean were removed from the Banner's hurling panel.
The Collins brothers will only be playing football in 2015 after their father confirmed there were no negotiations over the dual players' involvement for next year.
Collins senior said there was little chance of a lastditch resolution to allow his sons to return to the hurling panel.
"This is an unusual situation in that the agenda has not been moved by the football side of things," said Collins.
"We're out of the loop, really, except we're the beneficiaries.
"But we're hurling supporters as well and we'd like to see them playing hurling.
"I've never had a cross or an angry word with Davy Fitz, never, we got on fine and I felt the arrangement was working. But obviously Davy didn't.
"I'm completely open to the players playing both codes.
"Last year it was three quarters hurling and a quarter football, I'm totally for dual players, there's no problem from my point of view.
"We were prepared to accommodate them in any possible way in this so this decision was reached by the senior hurling management alone.
"They decided that they weren't going to have any dual players for the coming year.
"So they gave an ultimatum that they wouldn't be allowed to play both and the players decided they were going to play football, and that's where it is.
"We're not happy about it, we'd be happier if they were allowed to play both but that's where it is anyway."
NO CROSS WORDS Clare hurling boss Davy Fitzgerald
OUT OF THE LOOP Clare football boss Colm Collins
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Sep 10, 2014|
|Previous Article:||Waters up for switch to hurling.|
|Next Article:||Donegal were just as well prepared for the semi-final as cash-rich Dubs; ALL-IRELAND SFC FINAL DONEGAL v KERRY CROKE PARK, SEPTEMBER 21 RUSSELL: THEY...|