Collaborative efforts result in over $45,000 raised for IOM Future of Nursing.
Since the release of the IOM report in 2010, GNA has actively collaborated with the Georgia Hospital Association, Emory School of Nursing and a number of nursing school deans and directors in order to move this work forward. The following will update members on the effort thus far:
* In February 2011, a Nursing Summit was held to address the IOM report. Over $15,000 was raised to support the meeting, which included over 400 attendees.
* The Georgia Nursing Leadership Coalition (GNLC) was formed, consisting of volunteers from practice, education, professional organizations and advocacy groups. Members met regularly to move action areas forward.
* In 2011, Georgia received the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) designation Georgia a state Action Coalition. At the time, Georgia was listed as one of 42 states working collaboratively on the IOM recommendations.
* Advocacy and lobbying efforts of GNA and GNLC resulted in $27,000 in the state budget directed to aligning the nursing workforce survey with recommended national data points to more effectively describe Georgia's nursing workforce.
* GNLC initiated a survey with plans for meeting the goal of 80 percent BSN nurses by 2020.
* Groups have been organized to focus on fundraising, communication and broadening support for nursing initiatives in the state.
* GNLC leveraged state dollars that were committed to expand doctoral nursing education in our state universities.
Our work is not done! GNA and GNLC continue to request donations from Georgia hospitals, schools of nursing, nursing organizations and individuals. If you or your nursing organization would like to donate to the Future of Nursing work, visit http://www.georgianurses. org/gnf donors.htm and use GNF's PayPal account to contribute. Nurses can also send a check/money order by mail to contribute, just be sure to note the intended purpose of your donation in the "for" line of your check/money order and send to GNF, 3032 Briarcliff Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30329.
The Georgia Nurses Foundation (GNF) is a registered 501c3 organization, so all contributions made through GNF will be tax deductible. The names of all organizations and individuals who contribute will be listed on the Georgia Nursing Leadership Coalition web site and in all nursing initiatives developed for the state.
The Georgia Nursing Leadership Coalition (GNLC) is co-led by Linda McCauley, Lisa Eichelberger, Karen Waters and Debbie Hatmaker. For information about GNLC, visit http://www.nursing.emory.edu/news and events/events/nhg/ or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'd like to thank the individuals and the nursing organizations listed below who have already contributed to this effort!
Total funds raised to date: $45,895 (at press time)
Nursing & Other Organizations: $12,450
Georgia Nurses Association
Georgia Hospital Association
GNA Southern Crescent Chapter
Athens Area Chapter of GNA
STTI, Alpha Epsilon Chapter (Emory)
Georgia Association of Nurse Anesthetists
GNA Northwest Metro Chapter
TGA Communications LLC
First City Chapter of GNA
STTI, Mu Pi Ch (Georgia Southwestern University)
Georgia Council of Operating Room Nurses
Old Capital Chapter of GNA
Metro Atlanta Chapter of GNA
Roy L. Simpson Fund of First Hand Foundation
Georgia Association of Deans and Directors
Schools of Nursing: $26,900
Armstrong Atlantic State University
Augusta State University
Clayton State University School of Nursing
College of Coastal Georgia
Emory University Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing
Georgia Health Sciences University College of Nursing
Georgia State University Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions
North Georgia College & State University School of Nursing
Shorter University School of Nursing
Mercer University Georgia Baptist College of
University of West Georgia
Valdosta State University
Health Care Systems: $400
Athens Regional Medical Center
Colquitt Regional Medical Center
Aiken, Eula Baker, Carol Dean Ballard, Nancy Barkers, Georgia Brown-Jones, Suzette Capponi, Nancy Cassity, Melanie Cha, Eunseok Clevenger, Carolyn Corwin, Elizabeth Dalmida, Safiya George Dowling Evans, Dian Dunbar, Sandra Eichelberger, Lisa Flook, Denise Freeman, Sarah Garcia, Cheryl Green, Rebecca Greene, William Hackman, Debbie Hanson, Charlene Hatmaker, Debbie Hedbloom, Kelly Howett, Maeve Jones, Wanda Kelley, Maureen Kelly, Ursula Lehr, Sally Malachowski, Judith Manion, Aimee Marion, Lucy Mashburn, Jane McCauley, Linda Moore, Kathryn Murphy, Evelyn Nivens, Anita Odom, Sue Paull, Judy Porter-O'Grady, Tim Reilly, Carolyn Rodriguez, Doris Saylor, Deborah Searcy, Laura Shapiro, Susan Shedd, Clint Shelby, Kelly Spencer, Linda Sweetwood, Jane Switzer, Traci Taggert, Helen Thomas, Tami Turner, Sandy Ura, Darla Vines, Vicky Waldrop, Drenna Warren, Sheila Waters, Karen Wells, Judy Wesley, Mary Wheeler, Rebecca Williams, Jill Wilmoth, Margaret Wold, Judith Yeager, Kate