Printer Friendly

Cofis take a huge step in title charge; Cefni ruthlessly dispatched.


CAERNARFON kept up their bid for a successive Division One North crown after a comprehensive 49-7 win away at Llangefni.

And as a double boost for the Y Morfa men, second-placed Nant Conwy went down to a 15-10 defeat at home against third-placed Bro Ffestiniog to open up a seven-point gap at the top.

For the first 15 minutes of the game Llangefni held their own, keeping the Cofis at bay with no real threat to their defences.

But Caernarfon scored the first try of the day from deep in Llangefni territory, gaining turnover ball in the ruck, and quickly feeding the ball out for back-row Llywarch Davies to burst through and touch down, with fly-half Kelvin Morris adding the extras.

The next 15 minutes saw Caernarfon gallop away scoring a further two tries, the first by centre Iolo Huws and the second by Davies, both successfully converted by Morris to move the league leaders 21-0 ahead after half an hour's play.

Llangefni tried in vain to come back at the Cofis and were for a while camped in the Caernarfon 22-meter area.

From a Caernarfon knock on, a scrum was awarded to Llangefni and when the ball came out Cefni's forwards made some hard yards with a series of pick and drives, and were rewarded for their endeavour with a penalty after the visitors were caught offside.

Needing the points, Llangefni kicked out to the five-meter line for the line-out and after cleanly taking the ball off the top were trying to recycle the ball when fly-half Llyr fire Gillan Hughes was called over by referee Iwan Williams and shown a red card for illegal use of the boot to ruck out a Cofis player.

With Cefni down to 14 men for the remainder of the game Caernarfon took full advantage before the interval to run in a two further tries, both from Huws and both successfully converted by Morris to give the visitors a 35-0 lead at the break.

Llangefni kicked off the second half and for periods of play with good possession they did threaten the Caernarfon defence.

But from deep in Caernarfon territory, the ball came loose and was kicked long downfield for Caernarfon winger Lance Williams to beat the scrambling defence and touch down under the posts, giving Morris a simple conversion effort which he easily took.

Play continued with Llangefni coming back again at the visitors, and from a Llangefni throw-in some 10 meters from the Caernarfon try line, the ball was cleanly received passing across the field and back to the hands of Llangefni captain No8 Iestyn Dafydd who went through the gap in defence and over for the try, successfully converted by Carwyn Milburn.

Caernarfon were soon reduced to 14 men after second-row Mathew Bohana was shown a yellow card for continually infringing at the break down.

But despite the numbers being evened up it was Caernarfon who had the last laugh as they saw winger Gwil Jones sent through to touch down for a further Cofis try, with Morris again adding the conversion to wrap up the win.

Caernarfon will now look to this Saturday's clash at home against Bro Ffestiniog knowing a win would all but end the Blaenau outfit's title charge while keeping their own hopes of retaining the title alive and well.

Cefni, meanwhile, host Mold in a must-win game for the islanders if they are to stay clear of a possible relegation battle.


Gillan Caernarfon's Liam Leung gets to grips with Llangefni winger Iwan Davies
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jan 16, 2012
Previous Article:Dol end Bay hopes of top-two finish.
Next Article:Mold steal win to boost hopes of avoiding drop.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters