Club appeals after case against first aider dropped.
AN appeal has been lodged after disciplinary action was dropped against a North Wales football club official accused of hitting a linesman with a first aid bag.
Blaenau Amateurs FC first-aider Gwilym Euros Roberts was alleged to have spat and shouted insults at stand in linesman and former Llanrug manager Kevin Owen after he flagged a Blaenau player off-side.
He was also alleged to have hit Mr Owen from behind on the head with his First Aid bag.
Mr Roberts said he had been poked in the eye by Mr Owen's flag, The North Wales Coast Football Association's disciplinary committee met at Conwy on March 11 after receiving a report from match referee Hugh P Davies,of Bethel,and a complaint from Llanrug Utd club secretary John Gareth Hughes.
But the committee dismissed the claims made against Mr Roberts because of insufficient evidence.
Mr Roberts,of Tanygrisiau, was accompanied at the hearing by five witnesses from Blaenau Amateurs. The referee was also present but there was no-one to represent Llanrug Utd. The club claims it did not receive an invitation.
Llanrug secretary Mr Hughes yesterday revealed he had contacted NWCFA secretary Trefor Lloyd Hughes to inform him of their appeal.
He said: ``Llanrug Football Club is appealing against the NWCFA's decision. How can a hearing be held when one of the complainants is not present - or had not even received an invitation to be present.''
Solicitor Sin Wyn Hughes, who is acting on behalf of Llanrug, said their appeal would go before a Football Association of Wales committee which would decide whether or not it could go ahead.
The allegations followed a Gwynedd League fixture on February 1 at Blaenau's Cae Clyd against Llanrug Utd.
NWCFA disciplinary secretary Bryan Roberts said after the original hearing: ``After considering the written and verbal evidence presented to the Commission on the night, the members of the Commission found the charge of alleged assault brought against Gwilym Euros Roberts not proven.''
Bryan Roberts said the missing invite remained a mystery. He is adamant it was sent to Mr Hughes.
Bryan Roberts said the NWCFA disciplinary committee had been in a dilemma whether or not to go ahead with the hearing but had decided to proceed.
An FAW spokeswoman in Cardiff confirmed yesterday Llanrug's appeal had been lodged and they would be writing to both parties.
Mr Roberts said: ``We'll see what happens. As far as I'm concerned everything's over.''
Gwilym Euros Roberts was accused of hitting a linesman with his first aid bag
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Mar 25, 2003|
|Previous Article:||Labour opens poll campaign.|
|Next Article:||Television: Partridge a bit of a `dinobird' TV HIGHS.|