Printer Friendly

Clinton approves NTT's planned purchase of Verio.

WASHINGTON, Aug. 23 Kyodo

U.S. President Bill Clinton has approved a plan by Japan's NTT Communications Corp. to buy U.S. Internet service provider Verio Inc., the White House announced Wednesday.

The approval followed a report by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) that said the planned purchase will pose no national security concerns.

''As a result of the investigation and negotiations with NTT Communications and Verio, any national security issues that may have been presented by this transaction have been resolved,'' the White House said in a press release.

The U.S. government watchdog on foreign investment had been investigating the purchase on concerns it might make the United States vulnerable to wiretapping.

NTT Communications is a wholly owned long-distance and international phone service subsidiary of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. whose main shareholder is the Japanese government.

Now that Clinton has given his final approval, NTT Communications, which already has a 10% stake in Verio, will buy the remaining 90% of the shares to strengthen its Internet business in the U.S.
COPYRIGHT 2000 Kyodo News International, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2000 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Comment:Clinton approves NTT's planned purchase of Verio.
Publication:NTT Topics
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Aug 28, 2000
Words:179
Previous Article:Disney to offer content via NTT's i-Mode mobile Web service.
Next Article:NTT Communications completes buyout of Verio.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |