Printer Friendly

City doctor walks free over attack; COURT: 27-year-old spared prison so that he can continue his medical career.

Byline: By Mail Reporter

A BIRMINGHAM doctor has avoided a prison sentence despite carrying out a savage attack on a paramedic during which the victim was punched, kicked and stamped on.

Nik Mann, aged 27, of War Lane, Harborne, walked free from Warwick Crown Court together with co-defendant Jake Roe, 21, a soldier with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

The court was told that Mann and Roe, of Polesworth, north Warwickshire, would both lose their jobs if they were jailed or given suspended sentences.

Instead, they were handed community orders with 200 hours of unpaid work and also ordered to pay pounds 600 prosecution costs each and pay their own defence costs.

Mann, who hopes to become a Birmingham GP in August, was ordered to pay pounds 2,000 compensation to Stephen Mason and Roe pounds 1,000.

Both men had pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Prosecutor Matthew Walsh said: "The injuries are fortunate in that they do not reflect what independent witnesses say was the severity of the force being used."

He said the defendants and Mr Mason, from Leicestershire, were at a stag party in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, last August.

Mr Walsh said the victim had no recollection of the events, but witness Michael Lowes saw him being chased by Roe and Mann.

"Roe caught him and pulled him to the floor and punched him to the face," Mr Walsh said.

Roe continued to hit him more than 20 times with Mann delivering the same number of blows.

"Roe then began kicking Mr Mason with his right foot and stamping four or five times to the head area. Mann joined in, kicking and stamping two or three times, " Mr Walsh added.

They stopped their attack and walked away as a taxi driver called police.

Mr Mason suffered swelling and bleeding to his brain, and was off work for three-and-a-half months.

When arrested Roe claimed he hit Mr Mason because he hit his sister, who was engaged to Mann.

Ciaran Rankin, defending, said the men had acted completely out of character due to drink and "deeply regret" what happened.


BRUTAL ATTACK... Nik Mann (left) and Jake Roe inflicted horrifying facial injuries on paramedic Stephen Mason (right). Pictures: BBC
COPYRIGHT 2007 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Jun 20, 2007
Previous Article:East City News: New store rises from the ashes - and boosts jobs; STECHFORD.
Next Article:Central City News: Our leafy streets are under attack; EDGBASTON: Residents say that too many trees are being chopped down.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters