Printer Friendly

Cigarette in flowerpot sparks fire, displacing Eugene family.

Byline: Chelsea Deffenbacher The Register-Guard

A tossed-out cigarette in a flowerpot spelled disaster for a Eugene family early Thursday morning after the butt sparked a fire at their northeast Eugene duplex, destroying half of the structure.

At 3:04 a.m., smoke alarms began to sound at 2069 Lake Wind Drive, near Ayres and Gilham roads.

Eugene Springfield Fire Battalion Chief Lance Lighty said a couple in one side of the duplex woke up to the alarm, got their baby and exited the home safely.

They went to the other side of the duplex and helped get the two neighboring residents out safely, Lighty said.

It took crews about 30 minutes to get the fire under control because the duplex had a concrete tile roof that hindered their efforts to access the attic space, Lighty said.

The local chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the three-person family with temporary housing, food, toiletries and other services.

The other half of the duplex was only lightly damaged by smoke, and the residents were allowed to reoccupy it, Lighty said.

The fire was traced to a cigarette in a flowerpot.

Lighty asked that people be diligent with barbecues, outdoor flames and discarded cigarettes, especially in hot weather.

COPYRIGHT 2017 The Register Guard
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Fires
Publication:The Register-Guard (Eugene, OR)
Date:Aug 4, 2017
Words:206
Previous Article:Jefferson fire triples, adding to valley smoke.
Next Article:Bend lawmaker to run for governor.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters