Chinese fishermen, boats captured by unidentified North Koreans released.
The North Korean foreign ministry told the Chinese Embassy in Pyongyang that the Chinese fishermen were freed, BBC reports.
Chinese Ambassador Liu Hongcai and other diplomats worked closely through negotiation with North Korea to get the fishermen released.
The fishermen did not suffer from any health problems, Jiang Yaxian, a counsellor at the Chinese Embassy in Pyongyang, said.
The captors had demanded ransom for the release of the fishermen, but it is not known whether any payment had been made.
It remains unclear if the boats were captured by North Korean authorities or kidnappers.
The fishermen were captured on May 8 in the Yellow Sea between China and North Korea. ( ANI )
Copyright 2012 aninews.in All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Asian News International|
|Date:||May 21, 2012|
|Previous Article:||New type of prostate cancer discovered.|
|Next Article:||Govt. employees take anti-terrorism pledge on Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary.|