Printer Friendly

China's Sichuan on Alert for Secondary Disasters after Quake.

Summary: TEHRAN (FNA)- Authorities of the quake-hit region in Southwest China's Sichuan Province put in place an emergency response plan fearing secondary natural disasters such as landslides, a report said.

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck the Lushan county of Sichuan's Ya'an city last Saturday morning killing some 200 people and destroying about 126,000 houses.

The quake caused many cracks on the ground and amassed rocks on edges of cliffs, chief engineer of Sichuan Institute of Geological Engineering Investigation Qian Jiangpeng said.

"Those rocks and soil will be dangerous for people and buildings under the mountain in case of heavy rain or a strong aftershock," Qian was quoted by RIA Novosti as saying.

According to the agency, over 400 experts were currently evaluating possible secondary risks in the areas affected by the quake.

The Chinese Ministry of Civil Affairs reported earlier that the quake impacted at least 1.99 million people in Sichuan. Over 3,200 aftershocks have been detected, with the biggest one registering at 5.9 magnitude.

2013 Fars News Agency. All rights reserved

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2013 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:FARS News Agency
Geographic Code:9CHIN
Date:Apr 27, 2013
Words:184
Previous Article:Serbian Parliament Ratifies Agreement with Kosovo.
Next Article:One Killed, 7 Injured in Plane Crash in Brazil.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters