Printer Friendly

Chemistry lesson ends in explosion; SCHOOLS.

Seven A-level students were rushed to a Birmingham hospital after an explosion during a chemistry lesson yesterday.

Pupils at Queen Elizabeth's Mercian School, in Tamworth, Staffordshire, were about to begin an experiment when a bottle of silicone tetrachloride exploded as two teachers opened it.

Paramedics were called to the school just before 4.20pm, along with police and firefighters.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "The crews were told two teachers were opening a bottle of silicone tetrachloride when it exploded. The teachers began to suffer the effects of breathing in fumes.

"Seven students, all aged 17 and 18 were taken to Good Hope Hospital in Birmingham. Although they showed no symptoms, they were in the room as the time the bottle exploded and were taken to the hospital as a precaution. Two other teachers who were in the area began to experience throat irritation and were treated at the scene."

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called in to decontaminate the laboratory once it had been made safe.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:May 1, 2008
Words:170
Previous Article:Inquest opens into dead disabled man; COURTS.
Next Article:Crash closes M42; ACCIDENT.
Topics:


Related Articles
Science lesson experiments are being squeezed out of schools.
Roadside explosion kills five cops in Paktika.
Afghan soldier killed, two injured in Ghazni blast.
School blast kills nine in Pakistan.
13 injured by explosion in Central Sri Lanka.
13 injured by explosion in Central Sri Lanka.
Nuclear explosion may have given birth to the Moon.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters