Printer Friendly

Chat ends in lucky escape for pals.

Byline: By Linda Richards

A teenager had a lucky escape when she survived a fall.

Kerry Bell was sitting chatting to friends on a low wall surrounding a pinfold in Barmoor Lane, Ryton, Gateshead, when she toppled backwards into the stone enclosure.

As the 16-year-old screamed, a friend tried to grab her and went into the pinfold with her, landing on top of Kerry.

Kerry, who lives in nearby Ash Grove, escaped with scratches and internal bruising after being rescued by firefighters.

Her 11-year-old friend also suffered minor injuries.

She said: "There was a group of about five or six of us, including two friends in wheelchairs.

"We had gone for a walk and stopped to sit by the wall.

"I was sitting on the wall with my back to the pinfold and as I turned to talk to a friend I lost my balance.

"It's a bit of a blur and I don't really know what happened to me.

"I screamed as I was falling and my friend tried to grab me but I pulled her over with me.

"I rolled three times and spun myself around hitting my back on glass."

Her friends raised the alarm and Kerry screamed with pain as firefighters tried to straighten her leg to put her on a stretcher at around 9.30pm on Tuesday.

It took a team of eight to carry her out of the enclosure to a waiting ambulance.

She was taken to Newcastle General Hospital where X-rays revealed she had no broken bones and was given pain killers and told to rest. "I'm still very sore," said Kerry, who has just left Hookergate Secondary School and started working at the NEL factory in Throckley, Newcastle, on the production line.

"My shoulder is swollen, my neck is sore, there's internal bruising around my hip and a cut across my back where I rolled over the broken glass.

"I know I've been very lucky.

"I've sat on that wall about 20 times before but won't be doing it again in a hurry."

Mum Judy, 36, was at home looking after her son, Ciaran, four who is disabled with a rare genetic disorder called Johanson Blizzard Syndrome when Kerry's friends ran and alerted a neighbour.

He told her what had happened and she ran the few hundred yards to the pinfold in her pyjamas.

She said: "The shock of it was horrendous.

"She was lying like a broken doll with her arms and legs all twisted.

"Everyone has said how lucky she is not to have been more seriously hurt.

"Everyone was hysterical ( the children, my mother ( and Kerry was devastated because they were wanting to cut her coat off.

"It's expensive and she had bought it with her first month's wages.

"When they gave her gas she was more worried about the coat."

The mother of two is worried a similar accident could happen again and may ask Gateshead Council to look at the safety of the pinfold.

The old enclosure was used to water livestock in the village.
COPYRIGHT 2006 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Sep 1, 2006
Words:508
Previous Article:Storytelling brought to TV by book centre.
Next Article:100 for Nissan.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters