Celtic Boys' Club pervert Torbett drops his appeal.
He was convicted after the Daily Record revealed he preyed on youngsters at the club.
They included former Scotland player Alan Brazil.
Last November Torbett, 51, was jailed for two years after being found guilty of molesting Brazil and two other youngsters almost 30 years ago.
He planned to challenge the conviction on a technical ground - that the sheriff hadn't formally adjourned the court before sending the jury to a hotel for the night.
But he abandoned the bid at the Appeal Court in Edinburgh.
The Record exposed the scandal in August 1996.
Up until then, there had been rumours Torbett had been abusing youngsters.
It was even suggested the Celtic board and Parkhead legend Jock Stein knew what he was doing but covered it up. The Record learned police were investigating claims against Torbett - and then Brazil, 39, told his story.
The second victim, David Gordon, 38, now a taxi driver, then came forward to tell of his ordeal.
Two months after their stories were published, Torbett was charged with sex offences.
The dilemma facing the youngsters was summed up by third victim James McGrory, 44. He said: "All I wanted to do was play football for Celtic Boys' Club, then Celtic. If I walked away, I was walking away from that."
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)|
|Date:||Aug 12, 1999|
|Previous Article:||COOK'S DATING AGENCY IS AXED; Watchdog group act on complaints.|
|Next Article:||Jailbirds of a feather.|