Cebu jail inmates hit no-visitation policy.
By Lesley Estil
Cebu City - The 3,600 inmates at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) have petitioned Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III to complain against the implementation of the no-visitation policy starting February 7.
In the petition, sent through their lawyer Inocencio Dela Cerna, the inmates said they have been stripped of their privileges especially their visitation rights.
The facility implemented the no-visitation policy after illegal drugs, cellphones and other contraband were confiscated during a raid last week.
Dela Cerna said the inmates plan to take legal action against Davide and center officials.
"We will have to initiate before the ombudsman an administrative case against them. I must call whoever is to be called. I will assist them in whatever I can on the legal aspect and I will also think and study what has to be done to at least address this issue now," Dela Cerna said.
The inmates said that if the no-visitation rule is enforced, specific inmates must be punished, not the entire jail population.
"There is a need for a direct communication between CPDRC officials, the inmates and the Office of the Governor so that we may be able to air our grievances and complains and cooperate in finding ways and means to thresh out a viable solution to this problem," part of the petition reads.
Dela Cerna said the inmates have launched a silent protest and if it the jail's officials and the governor do not listen to their appeal they themselves will find ways to address the problem.
The inmates also questioned the capability of the jail's Officer in-Charge, Roberto Legazpi, in running the facility.
The inmates are demanding that Legazpi return the safe of the jail's cooperative which was seized during the raid.
Interviewed earlier, Legazpi said he was carrying out the no-visitation policy because the investigation on the results of the greyhound operation last week was still ongoing.
He said that even if the visitation rights were suspended, the families and relatives are still allowed to hand over food to the inmates.
Legazpi said they need to review the center's security measures and find out who among the jail officials have a hand in smuggling contraband.
Friday's Operation Greyhound recovered 26 sachets of suspected shabu, cellphones, bladed weapons, and drug paraphernalia from the detainees.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Feb 7, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Duterte orders Customs to step up collection.|
|Next Article:||Rice pest causes P2.4-M crop damage in Negros.|