Case Study: Camp S-72, Company 270.
The Delmar "Grouse Camp," 1933-36, was a typical CCC operation, administered by an Army Reserve officer and 200 enrollees comprising CCC Company 270. Enrollees earned $30 per month, $25 of which was sent home to the enrollee's family.
Company 270 was initially assigned to Camp P-69, Huntington Forest in Newcomb in June 1933, one of the state's earliest camps. It was a hastily built canvas encampment with no winter quarters, and was moved to the newly-constructed Camp S-72 in Delmar on November 7, 1933.
The chief purpose of Camp S-72 was to convert an abandoned fruit farm into a "game farm" for the propagation of upland game birds and waterfowl. In 1933, populations of waterfowl and game birds, particularly ruffed grouse, were in serious decline. The relationship of wildlife to habitat management and the ecology of boom-and-bust population cycling were concepts little understood at the time, so enhancing wildlife stocks through game farming made perfect sense.
CCC Company 270 worked on site for three years erecting brooder houses, damming streams and fencing fields to create for the Conservation Department the Delmar Experimental Game Farm, one of seven such game farms the state would eventually operate. Several CCC enrollees took readily to propagation work and were hired as permanent employees once the camp closed. Their work well done, Company 270 moved to Whitney Point, Camp CE-21 on September 29, 1936 to work on Corps of Engineers projects.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Civilian Conservation Corps|
|Publication:||New York State Conservationist|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||Feb 1, 2008|
|Previous Article:||Force for nature: 75 years later: the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps.|
|Next Article:||DEC: North Country trail in New York?|