Printer Friendly

Care home consultation is defended; HEALTH.

Byline: LESLEY-ANNE MCKEOWN

HEALTH chiefs yesterday rejected claims a new public consultation on the closure of state-run care homes is a box-ticking exercise.

The Health and Social Care Board was ordered to take responsibility for controversial closures following a backlash earlier this year.

It said it wanted residents and relatives to help draw up criteria used to determine the future of facilities.

But Fionnuala McAndrew, who is leading the process for the HSCB, said a significant number of residential homes were still likely to shut.

She added: "It is important that we assess the statutory homes against robust criteria and this is an opportunity for everyone to comment on the way in which we take these decisions."

Health Minister Edwin Poots, who had to face down calls for his resignation over his handling of the crisis, was forced to do a U-turn on the emotive issue.

CAPTION(S):

U-TURN J Edwin Poots
COPYRIGHT 2013 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Aug 22, 2013
Words:152
Previous Article:Mural may be on the way back; CAMPAIGN.
Next Article:FINANCE BOSS BOOSTS PUB TRADE SPIRITS.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters