Printer Friendly

Care home blamed after patient died swallowing glove.

By ROSS MCCARTHY Court Reporter ross.mccarthy@trinitymirror.com @birminghammail AN elderly care home patient died because of a failure to give him urgent treatment after he swallowed a glove, an inquest was told.

Alzheimer's sufferer Robert Davidson, 79, began choking at Aran Court Care Home in Garretts Green and died from a cardiac arrest.

After a two-day inquest, a jury at Birmingham Coroner's Court concluded that neglect had contributed to the death of the pensioner, from Tile Cross.

It listed a catalogue of failures by the home in dealing with the emergency on January 27 - including a worker not realising she needed to dial 9 for an outside line to call for an ambulance.

The inquest found the pensioner's problems were inadequately identified when Mr Davidson was transferred to the home and Aran Court failed to initiate one-to-one care after he had previously swallowed a glove.

The narrative verdict also stated: "The level of training for staff dealing with vulnerable people was insufficient.

"Training was also inadequate in dealing with an emergency situation, in particular calling the emergency services and when to initiate cardio-pulmonary resuscitation. His death was contributed to by neglect."

Coroner Louise Hunt said she was also concerned about the lack of "sign posting" concerning patients and said it was also of concern that carers did not need any form of qualification.

"It is very much dependent on what the provider gives. I think it is something I need to raise nationally," she said.

The inquest heard that Mr Davidson had been diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's in 2011 and that his condition deteriorated so that he could not be cared for at home.

He was transferred to Aran Court in Braymoor Road in April last year.

On November 13 he was seen to put a disposable glove in his mouth, although this was not reported to senior staff.

On January 27 Mr Davidson was seen to pick up a box of gloves from a trolley.

The box was replaced by a carer, although it was not checked to see if he had taken one of them. A short time later Mr Davidson started to choke and a nurse tried unsuccessfully to remove the glove using abdominal thrusts.

There was a delay in calling emergency services because a carer did not know to dial 9 for an outside line.

The coroner said there had been a conflict of evidence between the nurse and the paramedic about whether Mr Davidson had a pulse. On arrival the paramedic had started CPR and the glove was expelled.

After the hearing Mr Davidson's niece, Sharon Bysephipps, said: "My aunt has finally got justice for her husband. It was thanks to the ambulance service's watchful eye that the poor care by the home became apparent."

She paid tribute to her uncle: "Robert Davidson was a kind family man with an incredible sense of humour.

"Originally from Liverpool, he was married to Maureen for over 56 years. His wife cared for him in difficult circumstances for over four years and believes he would still be alive if he had not suffered neglect by Aran Court."

COPYRIGHT 2016 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Oct 15, 2016
Words:523
Previous Article:Chadli owes me a N-ace meal after Belgium call-up - Pulis; ALBION v TOTTENHAM THE HAWTHORNS, TODAY, 3PM.
Next Article:New portrait of the Queen is unveiled.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |