Printer Friendly



Peugeot Reserves 1

Stockingford Pavilion 3

(after extra-time)

RESILIENT Stockingford lifted the Evening Telegraph Junior Cup as luckless Peugeot saw their hopes slither away in extra-time at rain swept Marconi last night.

The Nuneaton outfit seemed destined for defeat going into injury time at the end of 90 minutes as they trailed to an opportunist first half strike from Omar Green but skipper Sam Turpie dragged them back on terms with a 20-yard drive and from then on they never looked back.

The dismissal of Craig Turrall for two bookables soon after the equaliser further dampened the hopes of the Alliance Three Humber Roaders as they went into extra time with ten-men and very much the underdogs with favourites Stockingford, from Alliance Two, boosted by their late leveller.

John Farmer's men then made the most of the extra man to take the lead through Jay Wilson and a Danny Wright penalty in the dying throes put the tie beyond doubt.

Farmer admitted he was relieved and delighted: "We missed one or two chances in the second half and I thought we were not going to get anything but then Sammy pushed on to give us a life-line. He doesn't score many but when he does they are important ones. We've got a lot of old heads and they may not have the legs anymore but they have ability and that helped us through. Peugeot made us fight all the way but we were the better footballing side and I felt worthy winners."

Peugeot boss Chris Woodhead said: "To concede an equaliser so late was a real heartbreaker. We had the game won but made a defensive error. When you concede a goal as late as that it knocks the stuffing out of you and in extra time Stockingford made the most of the one man advantage. Chris' sending off killed us."

The pacy Green fired Peugeot ahead on 25 minutes when a long clearance put him away down the left and he skipped around the on-rushing keeper Steve Johnson to fire into an empty net from just outside the area. Green had a further two efforts cleared off the line while, at the opposite end, Andy Stewart's glancing header clattered the woodwork.

But 90 seconds into time added on Stockingford levelled as Turpie burst forward from midfield and, with the Peugeot defence back-pedalling, the Pavilion captain unleashed a telling drive that flew past keeper Stuart Dutton and just inside the far post.

Turrall was then sent off and, in the second half of extra time, Wilson's looping 15-yard header spiralled over Dutton and found the net off the underside of the bar while Wright confidently drilled in the third from the penalty spot after he had been upended by Dutton's challenge.

Peugeot: Dutton, Spencer (Bergin 115), Anderson, Turrall, Harvey, Ludford, Blakemore, Boucher, Green, Angell (Docherty 96), Sutherland (Arlow 108).

Stockingford: Johnson, Gallagher, Middleton (Phillips (71), Ward, Wright, Mallabone, Turpie, Stewart (Collins 75), Smith, Wilson, Lewis. Sub not used: Leedham.

Referee: Ken Howe.


IT'S OURS: Happy Stockingford celebrate after receiving the coveted trophy and their medals at rain-swept Allard Way last night. Picture: PAUL ROGERS l MORE pictures and reaction to the action in next Wednesday's Midweek Pink.
COPYRIGHT 2005 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Geographic Code:4EUFR
Date:Apr 16, 2005
Previous Article:City off to fine start; SWIMMING.
Next Article:Boswell strikes top tune; EQUESTRIAN.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters