Printer Friendly

CONSUMERS POWER ISSUES FURNACE ALERT

 CONSUMERS POWER ISSUES FURNACE ALERT
 JACKSON, Mich., Dec. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Power Company is


urging natural gas customers to make sure their heating system is in proper working condition, following incidents in recent days in which people have escaped carbon monoxide poisoning.
 "It is vitally important that customers ensure that their heating system is in safe working condition, especially during this time of year when heating demands are heaviest," said the utility's Vice President of Energy Distribution Services Carl L. English.
 Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause chronic headaches, smarting eyes, nausea, drowsiness or unconsciousness. Sources of carbon monoxide can include improperly working furnaces, improperly vented furnaces, or fireplaces and gasoline engines running in closed spaces.
 Proper heating system operation can be ensured by adhering to the following procedures, said English:
 -- Make sure the chimney and vent pipe are free of obstructions, such as leaves or nests.
 -- Check the vent pipe connected to the chimney for rust and corrosion. Make sure it is correctly secured at both ends.
 -- Make sure the blower door on the furnace is kept closed.
 -- Any enclosed appliance must have adequate air for combustion through the louvers in the door, or direct outside air.
 -- One sign that a furnace may not be working properly is excessive moisture buildup on the walls, ceilings and windows. "It is extremely important that homeowners who suspect carbon monoxide take immediate action by calling either Consumers Power Company or a qualified heating contractor for a furnace inspection," said English. "With winter coming we urge customers now to take the appropriate steps to ensure their own safety and comfort," English said.
 Consumers Power Company, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy Corporation (NYSE: CMS), is Michigan's largest utility serving almost 6 million of the state's 9 million residents in 67 of the 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
 -0- 12/3/91
 /CONTACT: Charles MacInnis of Consumers Power Co., 517-788-0333/
 (CMS) CO: Consumers Power Company; CMS Energy Corporation ST: Michigan IN: UTI SU:


ML -- DE002 -- 8602 12/03/91 08:33 EST
COPYRIGHT 1991 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1991 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Dec 3, 1991
Words:336
Previous Article:EPE RECEIVES ONE-DAY EXTENSION OF FUEL OIL TRUST CREDIT FACILITY; CONTINUES TO SEEK INTERIM EXTENSION & EXTENSION AS PART OF RESTRUCTURING
Next Article:SYSTEMATICS TO MANAGE DECATUR FEDERAL'S DATA PROCESSING
Topics:


Related Articles
CONSUMERS POWER METRO REGION PILOT PROGRAM HELPS VISUALLY IMPAIRED
KEEP METERS CLEAR OF SNOW AND ICE URGES CONSUMERS POWER
CONSUMERS POWER COMPANY ALERTS CUSTOMERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE CAUSES
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IS MAJOR PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUE; CLINTON URGES AMERICANS TO LEARN ABOUT DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
CONSUMERS POWER NOW MAKES 'HOUSECALLS'
CONSUMERS POWER APPLIANCE REPAIR PLAN HAS NEW NAME
Alliance for Lower Electric Rates Today (ALERT) Welcomes LPSC Action
ALERT Will Continue Pushing for Electric Utility Competition
With Winter Coming, SDG&E Urges a Furnace Check.
Energy Groups Praise Secretary Abraham's Pledge To 'Cut Through Red Tape' on Energy-Saving Standards.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters