Printer Friendly

COAS gets investigation report of GHQ's attack.

ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2009 (Frontier Star): The investigation report with regard to deadly attack at General headquarters Rawalpindi last month has been dispatched to Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani. During investigation, majority of the information was given by Dr. Usman alias Aqeel Ahmed, the mastermind of the terrorist attack on Pakistan Army's General headquarters, security. The investigation team was constituted by Chief of the Army Staff Gen. Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani, which comprised on most senior and capable investigation officers of an intelligence agency, sources said. The investigation team in its report said the perpetrators of terrorist attack on the GHQ had a plan to hold some generals hostage to get their demands accepted. All the terrorists got training from a training camp in Razmak in South Waziristan, where operation Rah-e-Nijat against militants is underway now. Some foreigner terrorists also involved in imparting training to perpetrators of terrorist attack on the GHQ, it said. The terrorists stayed in Rawalpindi for at least one month to get information and monitoring of GHQ but due to strict security measures they could not get much internal information of army's headquarters, it added. No high profile terrorists were among those who were arrested from twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad, Lahore and other areas of the country after the brazen attack but majority of people are those who assisted the perpetrators of terrorist attack, sources said. No army man or employees of GHQ was directly or indirectly involved in the deadly event. During investigation, Dr. Usman alias Aqeel Ahmed told the interrogators that they wanted to storm army headquarters on the day of corps commander meeting so that they could hold two generals hostage to get their 100 arrested accomplices including members of banned organization release, sources said. The incident happened on October 10 while the corps commander meeting was held on October 07 and decision not to storm army headquarters at day of meeting was changed by Dr. Usman alias Aqeel Ahmed due to strengthen security measures, sources said. Dr. Usman alias Aqeel Ahmed told the interrogators that they had wrong information about the security of GHQ and they had no idea that they would not be able to enter in the headquarters, sources said. It is merit mentioning here Aqeel who was arrested in injured condition was a former member of the nursing staff in the Combined Military Hospital and was wanted by Police in several cases.

COPYRIGHT 2009 Asia Pulse Pty Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Frontier Star (Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan)
Date:Nov 16, 2009
Previous Article:Chairman CDA promises full cooperation to Pak-Gulf for The Centaurus project.
Next Article:Gilani not PM under 1973 constitution: Hashmi.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters