To obtain CME credits, complete the test below, following these guidelines:
1. Read each article carefully.
2. Choose the most appropriate response to each of the following questions and record these on the registration form. Unanswered questions are considered incorrect.
3. Send the completed registration form and your payment (check, money order, VISA, MasterCard, American Express) to the Center for Continuing Education, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC).
4. After your test has been graded, you will receive a receipt, a copy of the correct answers, and a credit statement certifying completion from the UNMC. Questions about the test should be addressed to UNMC Center for Continuing Education (402-559-4152).
Credit: The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education designates this educational activity for a maximum of 3 category 1 credits toward the AMA Physician's Recognition Award. Each physician should claim only those credits that he/she actually spent in the activity.
This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the ACCME Essentials.
1. In the article by Shine et al, which of the following is not included among the precipitating factors for the occurrence of pneumomediastinum and cervical emphysema?
c. weight lifting
2. According to Gannon and Thompson in this month's Pathology Clinic, approximately what percentage of patients with acute osteomyelitis develop chronic osteomyelitis?
a. 5 to 20%
b. 10 to 25%
c. 15 to 30%
d. 20 to 35%
3. Which of the following statements regarding extramedullary plasmocytomas is false, according to the article by Baek et al?
a. Nearly 60% occur in the head and neck.
b. Most of those that occur in the head and neck arise in the upper aerodigestive tract.
c. They represent less than 1% of all head and neck malignancies.
d. They are rare, localized tumors.
4. At which of the following sites does extramedullary plasmocytoma most commonly occur, according to a source cited by Baek et al?
d. nasal cavity or paranasal sinuses
5. According to Vincek et al, which theory regarding the histiogenesis of cutaneous carcinoma seems to be most widely accepted?
a. collision tumor theory
b. clonal evolution theory
c. conversion theory
d. divergence theory
6. Which of the following statements regarding liposarcomas is true, according to Hamilton et al in this month's Head and Neck Clinic?
a. They occur primarily in adults.
b. They occur in more women than men.
c. They account for less than 10% of all soft-tissue sarcomas.
d. They are more common in the head than in the neck.
7. Iqbal et al state that dental extraction is the only dental procedure that has been reported to cause surgical emphysema.
True or False
8. According to a source cited by Syeda and Hussain, schwannomas and neurofibromas account for what percentage of all benign laryngeal tumors?
a. 0.1 to 1.5%
b. 1.5 to 2%
c. 2 to 3%
d. 5 to 10%
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Ear, Nose and Throat Journal|
|Date:||Nov 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Pediatric Nasal and Sinus Disorders.|
|Next Article:||Education: a new opportunity for residents.|