Printer Friendly

CLYDACH KILLER'S LOVER IN SUICIDE BID LOVER JEWELL'S OVERDOSE BID; Girlfriend in overdose drama hours after murder trial.


THE GIRLFRIEND of Clydach `Butcher' David Morris tried to kill herself hours after the sensational murder trial.

Mandy Jewell's overdose drama unfolded after her evil lover was jailed for four life terms for murdering best friend Mandy Power, her two daughters and mother.

THE lover of the man convicted of the shocking Clydach murders tried to commit suicide just hours after the verdict.

Blonde Mandy Jewell, 33, was found unconscious from an overdose on Friday evening after her lover David Morris was jailed for killing three generations of the same family.

Loyal Mandy had stood by evil builder David Morris - and even gave crucial evidence in his defence case.

But Morris, 40, was found guilty of beating to death Mandy's best friend Mandy Power, her two daughters Katie, 10, and Emily, eight, and her disabled mother Doris Dawson, 80. He's now beginning four life sentences for the quadruple killing in June 1999. Mandy Jewell appeared on the courthouse steps in Swansea after the trial with Morris's parents, Brian and Shirley, to condemn the verdict and fight for his release.

Yet hours later she was rushed to hospital after the dramatic suicide bid at her home in Craigcefnparc, Swansea, which she shared with the killer.

During the trial she lived with Morris's parents at their home in the Penlan area of Swansea and was understood not to want to stay in the community where she and Morris had shared a flat.

A family member said: ``She has been in a terrible state. She never thought Dai did it but now he is behind bars for life.

``It has been a terrible strain but she stood by her man. It's all been too much.''

Doctors managed to revive her and last night she was discharged from Swansea's Morriston Hospital.

A police spokesman said: ``We cannot divulge any information about what happened but we are satisfied there was no criminal dimension to it.

``As far as we are concerned it was a health-related issue which has now been dealt with.'' Mother-of-one Jewell had supported Morris throughout the trial even though he had often turned his violence onto her.

Neighbours said Mandy had been brutally battered by Morris during several public fights.

The police were called many times although she never made a complaint.

On one occasion in 1996 a bleeding Mandy took refuge in a neighbour's flat after a beating, they said.

Another neighbour revealed how he pleaded with Morris to stop after seeing him repeatedly hit Mandy over the head with a shovel.

It was Mandy who at first gave Morris an alibi for the murders - she told police that Morris was at home with her before midnight on the night of the killings three years ago. It was later admitted he did not come home until the early hours.

After Morris was arrested for the sickening murders she said there hadn't been any blood on his clothing when he had returned that night.

Giving evidence in court she said: ``If I knew anything about it I would tell you.

``My daughter Emma is the most important person in my life and I would not risk losing her for him, especially if he had done something like that.''

The court heard how Morris, who had drunk eight pints of Stella lager and taken the amphetamine speed, strangled and beat bisexual Mandy, 34, to death, then battered her two innocent girls and elderly mother on the night of June 27, 1999, after Mandy spurned his sexual advances.

Invalid Mrs Dawson was murdered as she lay terrified in bed at the family's semi-detached in the village of Clydach, near Swansea.

Then callous Morris calmly had a shower to get rid of bloodstains before lighting four fires in the house in a bid to destroy any evidence of the slaughter.

But for all his coolness fatherof-three Morris left a vital clue - his gold chain covered in the blood of his victims.

Morris was one of the early suspects for the murders which shocked the nation but lied again and again to officers.

He got his cousin to buy him a replacement chain a month after the murders but finally admitted the chain was his five days before the trial began, after forensics found a speck of paint that matched some in his home.

He then changed his story and told police he left the chain at Mandy's because he was having an affair with her.

Judge Mr Justice Butterfield said: ``These were horrific murders committed with great savagery in which you inflicted appalling injuries on four innocent and defenceless victims.

``You have shown not a trace of compassion or sympathy in the suffering you have caused.''

Morris, of Creigcefnparc, Swansea, was given four life sentences for the killings.


JEWELL: Devastated by verdict MORRIS: Jailed for horrific crimes; RECOVERING: Morris's lover Jewell; MURDERER: Dai Morris is serving life
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Wales On Sunday (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Jun 30, 2002
Previous Article:Swing out sisters eye up title; GOLF WOMEN'S OPEN STROKEPLAY.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters