CITY IS A TOP S 5 TRIP 5 TRIP; Liverpool one of the best rated travel destinations in UK.
LIVERPOOL has been named one of the top five places to visit in the UK by tourists from around the world.
The city came fifth in the top 10 list of best-rated UK destinations, in TripAdvisor's Travellers' Choice awards. London topped the list, with Edinburgh in second, Llandudno in third and Torquay in fourth.
Liverpool came higher in the top 10 than destinations including Black-Black pool, York, and Glasgow. Manchester did not make the top 10.
The Travellers' Choice awards reveal the best-rated destinations in the world, Europe and the UK each year, based on the millions of reviews from tourists.
Chris Brown, TripAdvisor's director of marketing for Liverpool, said: "From the moment they get here, visitors see that Liverpool is an extremely friendly, safe, vibrant city and are keen to tell others about it through TripAdvisor.
Top 1. London 2. 3. 4. Torquay 5. 6. 7. Belfast 8. York 9. Keswick 10.
"We are expecting a tremendously busy year in 2015, with events such as One Magnificent City, Jackson Pollock at Tate Liverpool, a major Mayan exhibition at World Museum and Sound City. With so much happening in the coming months, this is a timely reminder of the positive experience visitors have in Liverpool, and why so many come back for more."
In the world top 10, Marrakech claimed the top spot with London coming sixth, while Istanbul was named best destination in the European top 10 with Prague and London making up the top three.
TOP RATED LIVERPOOL ATTRACTIONS ON TRIPADVISOR: 1. Liverpool CAT ATA HEDRAL Reviewer David D said: "Stunning. The scale & majesty of the building can only be appreciated up close. The sunken cemetery was a little oasis of peace to enjoy after a day's shopping & sightseeing."
2. THE CAVERN CLUB Reviewer clarky4910 said: "A must visit to the birth place of the Beatles. Being inside you really do get a feel for the buzz and atmosphere there must of been at the start. Great place to visit to have a drink and a nose at the photos and memorabilia and you might be treated to a little bit of live music."
3. 7 PRIVAT RIVAT RIVA E TOURS, INCLUDING THE BEATLEA TLEA ES FAB FOUR TAXI TOUR Reviewer David W said: "Excellent - a must do. Phil our driver did a brilliant job taking us to all the Beatles sites and telling us the history, stories and anecdotes concerning the Beatles and Liverpool.
"A definite must for any Beatles fan or anybody that wants to know more about them."
4. ANFIELD STADIUM TADIUM T Reviewer Elaine H said: "I've been a Liverpool supporter for 40 years, and I finally made it to Anfield. The tour guide was informative and personable, and the museum was very interesting. All in all, more than lived up to expectations."
5. MENDIPS ? JOHN LENNON HOME Reviewer Marie P said: "The trip to John Lennon's childhood home was fab! The National Trust guide was great and provided good information which gave visitors a good insight in John's childhood. To see his school reports and childhood drawings was amazing. When travelling to the house on bus the driver pointed out childhood play areas of John."
6. LIVERPOOL CENTRAL LIBRARY Reviewer Vivien S said: "Amazing building brought into the 21st century. Worth going just to see building, staircase and rooftop view."
7. 24 SIGHTSEEING TOURS, INCLUDING BEATLEA TLEA ES GUIDES ? JACKIE SPENCER Reviewer Pam E said: "Jackie was the best! We learned a lot! I am not the biggest Beatle fan but I was very impressed and enjoyed the day!! Jackie made it fun and she was so knowledgeable. We broke out in song about every stop! She is also very good at getting great pictures."
8. CASBAH COFFEE CLUB Reviewer Lorraine D said: "As part of our Fab4 cab tour we spent over an hour with Pete Best's brother Roag where the Beatles really began, in the cellars of a house.
"A truly fascinating place to visit today, although I would not have fancied it back in the day when it was crammed with fans. Roag is a brilliant guide, another must do."
9. WALKER ART GALLERY Reviewer Fredibus said: "A fine building endowed at the peak of Liv-erpool's prosperity and beautifully located near St George's Hall and the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel! I really like the collection, especially the Pre-Raphaelites. A lovely place to spend a couple of hours."
10. MERSEYSIDE MARITIME MUSEUM Reviewer Shell6257 said: "Amazing to see how prosperous Liverpool was back in the day, great to see how well the city is doing now. A must see for anyone who is interested in the history of our city."
Breathtaking views of city ITS Manchester counterpart is set to be dismantled, but the Wheel of Liverpool continues to reach for the skies.
As Manchester announces that their wheel will be taken down within three weeks, with many saying the wheel is "too dominant" in the city centre, the Liverpool version continues to benefit from its prime location on the waterfront, next to the ECHO Arena.
Since it opened on the waterfront four and a half years ago, it has carried well over a million passengers. On clear days, you can glimpse the Welsh mountains in the distance, or if you travel up after dark, you can take in the breathtaking views of Liverpool lit up at night.
The Wheel of Liverpool stands at 60 metres (200ft), which makes it roughly half the size of the London Eye.
There are 42 capsules, each one ready to hold up to six adults and two children.
We took a trip on the Wheel of Liverpool to enjoy the stunning views of the city skyline.
The Cavern Club, number 2 rated | Liverpool attraction on Tripadvisor
View over Mann Island towards the Three Graces | |
Stunning | |view over Albert Dock from the Wheel of Liverpool. Left: The wheel next to the ECHO Arena JASON ROBERTS
View of Liverpool Cathedral, Liverpool's No. 1 attraction | |
View along the Strand | |
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Liverpool Echo (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Mar 25, 2015|
|Previous Article:||GIRL, 5, ASSAULTED WHILE ON S WHILE ON S C COOTER OOTER OOTER By RHIAN LUBIN.|
|Next Article:||Station brings Station brings old posters back to life old posters back to life; Hamilton Square to re-open on Friday after revamp.|