Printer Friendly

CHOKED TO DEATH ON A SANDWICH; Care home boss apologises over failure to review OAP's feeding.

Byline: STEVE BAGNALL

AN 87-YEAR-OLD woman died at a care home after choking on a ham sandwich.

Gertrude Honeysett, died after the choking incident at Oak Alyn Hall Care Home, Cefn-y-Bedd, Wrexham, on August 13, last year.

Attempts were made to resuscitate the 87-year-old by care staff but she could not be saved.

An inquest in Wrexham heard there had been contradictory advice on how Ms Honeysett should eat from various authorities after she suffered a stroke in 1998 leaving her with dementia and a weak left side.

In January last year a care plan at the home stated she should be given liquidised or mashed food.

But in May there was an incident where Ms Honeysett choked on an egg sandwich.

On this occasion staff successfully managed to get the blockage out and it was recorded in notes. However it was not acted upon and Ms Honeysett's granddaughter Gina Honeysett was not informed.

The inquest heard Ms Honeysett had received very good care at the home over the years and when sandwiches were prepared for her, the crusts were removed and they were cut into small quarters.

Jane Worsnip, who took over the management of the home after the May choking incident said if she had been in charge at the time she would have called in a doctor and reviewed Ms Honeysett's eating procedures.

In tears she told Ms Honeysett' granddaughter: "I'm so sorry."

A post-mortem discovered Ms Honeysett's heart was in an extremely bad condition and could have been a contributing factor to her death by choking.

Recording a verdict of accidental death Mr Hughes said: "My initial reaction when I heard about this is that there was something not quite wrong here.

"When the choking incident in which Ms Honeysett died occurred all the correct procedures were followed.

"The choking incident in May had been recorded in notes, but had not been acted upon. An incident of this sort should have been reported to a GP and an investigation to see whether this was a one off, or if there needed to be further action."
COPYRIGHT 2010 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jan 9, 2010
Words:349
Previous Article:Judge hits out over recycled statement.
Next Article:Rock fans gathering; MIKE'S FESTIVAL COMES HOME.
Topics:


Related Articles
Ill man choked on his food.
Fury at food choke OAP's care failures; CORONER.
WALES: Pensioner choked to death on sandwich.
Pensioner ate 'wrong' dinner; INQUEST: Elderly man choked to death at care home.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters