CARER SUSPENDED AFTER PATIENT DIES IN SCALDING BATH; EXCLUSIVE.
A CARER has been suspended after the agonising death of a disabled man in a scalding bath.
We told last week how wheelchair-bound Billy Thomson, 44, was admitted to hospital with 40 per cent burns and lost his fight for life four days later.
Care home owners Turning Point Scotland have suspended a member of staff from the home at Morton Gardens, Crossmyloof, Glasgow, while they investigate how Billy died.
Police are also probing the death. The dead man's brother Jim said: "I won't rest until I find out why Billy died.
"Workers at the home are paid to look after people like Billy. I have no doubt if he had been supervised 24 hours a day like he was supposed to be then he would still be here today."
Jim scattered Billy's ashes next to his mother's at Daldowie Cemetery, Glasgow.
He said: "It was very peaceful when we laid Billy to rest. My wee brother may be at peace now but I will not rest until I find out how these people allowed him to die in such traumatic circumstances.
"So far I have been fobbed off by the home but I am demanding answers. For Billy to have died like this he must have been left in the bath for some time - not just a few seconds or even a few minutes.
"As far as I am concerned, the home have been negligent and I don't want any other families to go through the torture of what Billy had to endure in the final days of his life."
Billy, who had a mental age of two, died on May 29 of multiple organ failure.
His death certificate also said a cause of death was scalding. Strathclyde Police have sent a report to the Procurator Fiscal.
A spokesman for the home said: "A staff member has been suspended. We are participating with the investigations. Turning Point Scotland has expressed sympathy to the next of kin."
Horror: Last week's Mail