Printer Friendly

CANCER PUBLISHES RESULTS OF TREATMENT OF C-TTP/HUS WITH IMRE CORPORATION'S PROSORBA COLUMN

 SEATTLE, March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- IMRE Corporation (NASDAQ: IMRE), a leader in the field of immunoadsorption, announced today that Cancer, the journal of the American Cancer Society, published data in its March 1993 issue regarding the use of IMRE's PROSORBA(R) column in the treatment of 55 patients with chemotherapy-associated thrombotic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome (C-TTP/HUS), an often fatal disease.
 Response to the therapy was achieved in 25 of the patients with an estimated one-year survival rate of 61 percent compared with an estimated survival rate of only 22 percent in those who did not respond. A 74 percent survival rate was reported for patients in partial or complete remission of their cancer at the time of development of C-TTP/HUS. This was in contrast to a less than 25 percent survival rate of similar patients who received other forms of therapy.
 No side effects resulted from 75 percent of the treatments, the journal reported. In the other 25 percent of the treatments, side effects were generally mild to moderate and well tolerated. The Cancer article concludes that this multicenter study establishes protein A immunoadsorption as an effective and safe treatment for C-TTP/HUS, a disease for which there is no known alternative therapy.
 C-TTP/HUS develops in a small percentage of patients with a history of cancer who are treated with certain chemotherapeutic agents. It is characterized by low platelet count (blood clotting elements), destruction of red blood cells, and kidney dysfunction. If left untreated, 80 percent of patients with this disease die within one year.
 The PROSORBA column was developed by IMRE scientists. It is a disposable, single-use cylindrical canister about three inches in diameter and three inches in height. The column contains a patented matrix comprised of solid granules of silica bound to a molecule, protein A, which can remove immune suppressor molecules from a patient's blood plasma. Following removal of this immune suppressor, the body's immune system acts more normally and can combat immune-related diseases. In the two-hour procedure, a patient's plasma is separated from the blood cells, passed through the column, re-combined with the cells, and re-infused into the same patient.
 IMRE Corporation received FDA approval in 1987 to market the PROSORBA column for the treatment of immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), an immune-related bleeding disorder. The company is currently conducting clinical trials in rheumatoid arthritis, other autoimmune diseases, and certain cancers.
 -0- 3/16/93
 /CONTACT: Lois Yoshida of IMRE Corporation, 206-298-9400/
 (IMRE)


CO: IMRE Corporation ST: Washington IN: MTC SU:

CK -- NY004 -- 6387 03/16/93 08:30 EST
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Mar 16, 1993
Words:425
Previous Article:PERSEPTIVE BIOSYSTEMS AND ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS SIGN FINAL AGREEMENT TO FORM PERISIS
Next Article:FOOD SAFETY GROUP SUPPORTS NEW USDA BACTERIAL CONTROL PLAN
Topics:


Related Articles
IMRE ANNOUNCES PUBLICATION IN NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE
IMRE ANNOUNCES PMA EXPEDITED REVIEW
RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS RESULTS FROM INDEPENDENT CLINICAL TRIAL OF PROSORBA COLUMN REPORTED BY IMRE CORPORATION
RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS RESULTS FROM INDEPENDENT CLINICAL TRIAL OF PROSORBA(R) COLUMN REPORTED BY IMRE CORPORATION
THE JOURNAL TRANSFUSION PUBLISHES ARTICLE ON TREATMENT OF REFRACTORINESS TO PLATELET TRANSFUSION WITH IMRE CORPORATION'S PROSORBA COLUMN
IMRE: MORE TTP/HUS DATA TO BE REQUIRED
IMRE ANNOUNCES PATENTS THAT EXPAND BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES
THE LANCET PUBLISHES CASE STUDY ON EFFECTIVENESS OF IMRE'S PROSORBA(R) COLUMN
IMRE CORPORATION ANNOUNCES RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS CLINICAL TRIAL APPROVED BY FDA
IMRE CORPORATION'S PROSORBA(R) COLUMN SHOWN BENEFICIAL IN TREATING NEUROLOGICAL CONDITIONS

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters