Printer Friendly

Burton smash Vics for four.



BURTON Albion maintained their 100 per cent record in 2008 with a convincing victory over Northwich Victoria.

Although the visitors sit in the Blue Square relegation zone they are a much different team now showing ten changes to the side that faced the Brewers back in September.

Nigel Clough's side made the perfect start taking the lead in the second minute.

From a short free kick Andy Corbett's low cross caused panic in the visitors' six-yard box, and in the melee Aaron Webster had time to fire home from a yard out.

After Northwich had seen a Cortez Belle header cleared off the line Shaun Harrad came close to doubling the lead as he saw two shots fly narrowly wide.

On the half-hour mark Burton broke quickly from defence following a Northwich corner.

Daryl Clare sent Harrad clear and he raced on before squaring the ball to Corbett who fired past Scott Tynan from ten yards.

Burton got caught out from the restart as Aaron Burns was given space and time to fire past Kevin Poole from 18 yards.

Burton restored their two goal lead on the hour mark following a surging 60 yard run down the left wing by Dave Farrell. As the winger broke into the box the ball ran free for Harrad to shoot home from 15 yards straight through keeper Tynan's legs.

Albion made it four when Michael Simpson's near post corner saw Mark Greaves get a glancing header at the near post. The ball fell nicely for Webster who was at the back post and able to claim his second goal of the game.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:Jan 20, 2008
Next Article:Smith blasts Cousin talk.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters