Printer Friendly

Burglars stole PS170k in cash machine raids; gang who 'left police clues' jailed over thieving spree.


FOUR men have been jailed for their roles in a series of burglaries across Greater Manchester.

Two others walked free from court with suspended sentences.

Police said almost PS170,000 was taken from two cash machines during burglaries.

More than PS109,000 was stolen from a machine at a business premises in Elliot Street, Tyldesley, in February 2018.

An alarm was deactivated and angle-grinder used to break into the machine, GMP said.

A month later, PS58,660 was stolen from a cash machine during a burglary at a shop on Higher Market Street in Farnworth, Bolton.

A third burglary - where a safe was stolen from a pub in Bury last July - was also reported.

Steven Lee Hargreaves, 42, of Dalton Drive, Pendlebury, pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary in relation to the break-ins in Tyldesley and Farnworth and was jailed for four years and two months.

Joshua Luke Doyle, 28, of Oaklands Road, Salford, pleaded guilty to three counts of burglary in relation to all three crimes and was jailed for four years and six months.

Jordan Taylor, 24, of Windsor Road, Moston, pleaded guilty to the Tyldesley burglary and was jailed for three years.

Paul Frater, 33, of Alnwick Road, Blackley, admitted burglary and was jailed for two years and two months.

Martin Leo Chubsey, 34, of Sandy Lane, Middleton, admitted conspiracy to burgle. He was jailed for 20 months, suspended for two years.

These men they could tens of just walk DS Richard Reece Clegg, 25, of Tonge Roughs, Middleton, pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods. He was jailed for 18 months, suspended for two years. Frater, Chubsey and Clegg's pleas related to the Bury pub.

All six were sentenced at Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court.

The safe from the pub was later found in Middleton.

Police said its concrete base had been smashed and back removed to access cash.

Police said Frater was arrested close by after the safe was found and tried to escape by climbing over a garden fence.

He had PS500 in cash stuffed in his socks.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Sergeant Richard Castley said: "These men thought they could simply steal tens of thousands of pounds and just walk away.

thought simply steal thousands and away Castley "Although they thought they had planned their burglaries well, in reality they left evidence behind and a trail of clues for police officers to follow," he added.

The prosecutions followed a joint investigation between the police and the intelligence security service, Safer-Cash.

These men thought they could simply steal tens of thousands and just walk away DS Richard Castley


Clockwise from top left, Joshua Doyle, Steven Hargreaves, Paul Frater and Jordan Taylor

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Manchester Evening News (Manchester, United Kingdom)
Date:May 11, 2019
Previous Article:Tributes to 'one off' comic Starr.
Next Article:Out-of-date figures mean 209 homes plan on hold.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |