Bullish Coulthard signs for another year.
David Coulthard has signed a one-year contract extension to stay with Red Bull Racing for 2006.
The Scot signed a one-year contract to race for the new team this season and a series of impressive performances, which have earned him 17 points so far, have paved the way for a new deal.
The 34-year-old's agreement, which will see him competing in his 13th season after spells with Williams and McLaren, was confirmed yesterday and ends speculation he was wanted by BAR-Honda.
Coulthard signed after being impressed with Red Bull's preparations for next season, when they will benefit from Ferrari engines.
He said: "It has been a very positive new experience working with Red Bull Racing. The potential of the team is obvious and it made perfect sense to continue our partnership.
"Since I started with the team last December, the progress made has been remarkable.
"I'm looking forward to contributing to the development of the 2006 car with the Ferrari engine and enjoying continued success with Red Bull Racing."
Coulthard has been partnered by Christian Klien and Vitantonio Liuzzi this season as part of Red Bull's driver rotation policy. Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz suggested earlier this season that Coulthard would be eased aside to make way for a Liuzzi-Klien partnership but yesterday's news confirms he has undergone a change of heart.
Coulthard's performances have convinced the team's sporting director Christian Horner of his worth.
"David has clearly demonstrated that he is still one of the top drivers in Formula One," Horner said.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Journal (Newcastle, England)|
|Date:||Jul 6, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Hughes sets out Le Mans target.|
|Next Article:||Speed men hit by late wash-out.|