Build a volcano in your backyard.
People who live near a volcano don't usually see it erupt. But if you make a volcano in your backyard, you can make it erupt any time you wish! Of course, it will only be a model, and it will be very safe to be near.
What You Need:
* WATER * VINEGAR * BAKING SODA
* DIRT OR SAND * DISHWASHING DETERGENT * A TABLESPOON
* RED FOOD COLOR (You don't NEED this, but it adds a nice color!)
* A SMALL EMPTY CAN, like the ones frozen juice concentrates come in
What You Do:
1. THIS IS AN OUTDOOR EXPERIMENT. It's messy! Set the can on the ground. Mound the dirt or sand around it in the shape of a volcano. The open top of the can will be the volcano's "crater."
2. Fill the can 1/2 full of water. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of dishwashing detergent, and some drops of red food color. Stir and mix everything together well.
3. When you want your volcano to erupt, pour a little vinegar into the crater. Immediately, "lava" will erupt from your volcano and ooze down the sides. This is what real lava (which is melted rock) does in a real volcano.
The Science Secret
A real volcano is very hot! Fire, gases, and rocks cause the eruption. YOUR eruption is caused by mixing baking soda and vinegar together. This forms a gas called carbon dioxide. The detergent traps the gas in bubbles. When the bubbles flow down your hill, they look like lava. Real, hot lava can be reddish in color. That's why you add red food color.
The best part of your volcano is that you can wash out the can, rebuild your mountain around it, add fresh water, baking soda, detergent, and food color, and make it erupt again.