Printer Friendly

Brown is hot on the heels of world title.

BURTON Bomber Neville Brown has got his sights set on a second world title challenge after emerging from the wilderness to kick start his career.

The former British middleweight champion roared back to winning ways by stopping Nottingham's Errol McDonald in three rounds in Doncaster last weekend.

It was 33-year-old Brown's first fight since losing his British title to Glenn Catley in Bristol back in January last year.

Now Brown can see no reason why he should not launch a new world title bid - three years after losing to Steve Collins when he stepped up a division to challenge for the WBO world super-middleweight crown.

"It is good to be back after my injury problems," said Brown, who had major worries with his back during and after the defeat at the hands of Catley.

"Everything is looking very promising and my promoter Frank Warren is very interested.

"We are now looking for a title fight of some sort, maybe an InterContinental title or the Commonwealth title.

"There is a possibility of a world title shot two or three fights down the road if I can maintain this kind of form.

"What I do need to do is get back into the ring as quickly as possible after the win in Doncaster.

"Some people may have thought that after 18 months out of action McDonald could have been a difficult opponent but I was ready and when I finished it off in the third round I felt good."

McDonald had originally been in training to meet Jason Matthews, who caused a major shock on the Doncaster bill by beating Ryan Rhodes to win the WBO world middleweight title.

Brown admitted: "The result of that fight was a major surprise. When Rhodes came out looking for a war it was beyond me."

Rhodes is a member of the Brendan Ingle camp and the Sheffield based trainer has come in for criticism following that defeat and the loss suffered by Birmingham heavyweight Pele Reid at the hands of Orlin Norris.

Reid has since split with Ingle and Brown said: "There was no way that Pele should have gone in with Norris having suffered the first defeat of his career in his previous fight."
COPYRIGHT 1999 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Boxing
Author:Marshall, Robin
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:Jul 25, 1999
Words:370
Previous Article:Rugby League: Mehrten's magic leaves Aussies in agony; New Zealand 34 Australia 15.
Next Article:Motoring: Baby Beemer still a winner.


Related Articles
COLLINS' CELTIC CONNECTION.
It's looking all over for Sally.
Neville is Browned-off by Warren.
BOXING: I'M READY TO WAYNE SUPREME -ELCOCK; Brum battler aims for May title shot.
Boxing: Fight legend Hagler booked for city date.
Boxing: I'M STILL ON THE WAY UP - DODSON.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters