Printer Friendly

Brit girl, 9, dies after eating ice cream on hols; Victim suffers allergic shock in Spain.

Byline: MATTHEW YOUNG in Malaga and GERARD COUZENS

A BRITISH schoolgirl has died after eating ice cream just hours into a holiday on the Costa del Sol.

The nine-year-old is believed to have gone into anaphylactic shock after suffering a severe reaction.

The girl, who was with family at a hotel in the town of Mijas near Malaga, is understood to have been allergic to milk and nuts. She was admitted to hospital on Saturday shortly after 9pm, officials have confirmed.

The gil was then moved to another hospital, where she died on Monday.

She to be staff The family of five were staying at an upmarket holiday resort Club La Costa World in Mijas, which is run by CLC World Resorts & Hotels.

first aid, ambulance was An insider said: "The family arrived the day the tragedy happened.

RESORT club la costa, "They checked in just after midday and went off to a shopping centre.

"The girl was suffering when she got back to the resort but it was only when they sat down for something to eat that she really started to feel unwell.

"Things took a turn for the worse before they left the restaurant. Staff gave first aid while an ambulance was called."

Another source said: "The family are still at the resort and are being offered professional support. They have two other young children who are obviously suffering immensely.

"The complex is packed with Brits. They were looking forward to a family holiday in the sun and they are struggling to cope. They are still in a state of shock."

The resort claimed the girl fell ill after eating ice cream away from the site.

A spokesman said: "Having eaten ice cream at a local commercial centre, she suffered a severe allergic reaction."

An official from the Hospital Costa del Sol, near Marbella, where the young girl was first taken, explained: "She was admitted on Saturdaystarted unwell, evening with anaphylactic shock.

"She was revived and transferred to Hospital Materno-Infantil in Malaga around midnight."

A source said he believed the youngster had gone into cardiac arrest after being rushed to the hospital

WITNESS mijas He added: "Her death could be linked to something she had eaten outside the hotel rather than at the hotel."

An autopsy was carried out at Malaga's Institute of Forensic Medicine. The results, sent to a judge who will investigate, have not been made public.

Further tests will now take place at the Institute of Toxicology in Seville.

She started to be unwell, staff gave first aid, an ambulance was called RESORT WITNESS club la costa, mijas

CAPTION(S):

PLUSH Upmarket Club La Costa World resort, Mijas. Pic: solarpix.com

TRAGEDY Hospital. Materno-Malaga

COPYRIGHT 2019 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Geographic Code:4EUSP
Date:Feb 21, 2019
Words:450
Previous Article:robo cop out; sick boy's classroom aid banned Parents block trial of learning machine over security fears.
Next Article:Mum of 3 had a brain tumour for 37 years without knowing; Lorna's fears ahead of second big op.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters