Printer Friendly

Boys of just 14 found guilty of murdering Irish girl in case that shook nation; KILLING OF ANA KRIEGEL: TEENS CONVICTED AFTER 6-WEEK TRIAL; Schoolgirl suffered 50 injuries in attack.


TWO 14-year-old boys have been found guilty of the murder of schoolgirl Ana Kriegel last year.

Both accused have been granted anonymity due to their age, and were referred to as Boy A and Boy B throughout the trial.

Boy A has also been found guilty of aggravated sexual assault.

The jury of eight men and four women deliberated for 14 hours and 25 minutes, after a six-week trial in Dublin's Central Criminal Court.

Ana's naked body was found with a ligature around the neck in a derelict house in Lucan, Co Dublin, days after the 14 year-old went missing on May 14 last year.

The Republic's former state pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy identified around 50 areas of injury on the schoolgirl's head and body, and concluded the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and neck.

Ms Cassidy also said there was evidence of penetration or attempted sexual penetration.

The jury foreman's hand shook as she handed over papers to the court clerk, before stating they had found both boys guilty on all the charges facing them respectively.

Justice Paul McDermott thanked the jury who he said "were brought off the street to consider these matters, which is all the more reason to express deep appreciation to you, I can't offer you anything but most the most sincere gratitude and excuse you all".

After the verdict, Ana's parents, Patric and Geraldine hugged each other and their friends and wept in the court room.

Outside court, Mr Kriegel told media their daughter was "our strength".

Her mother said: "Ana was a dream come true for us, and she always will be."

Boy B's father left the room immediately after the verdict, slamming the door, before returning shortly after, clapping and loudly stating: "An innocent child is going to prison."

Both Boy A and B's mothers wept and held their sons before they were taken away.

They have been remanded in detention until July 15.

The jury were asked to consider a raft of evidence in the case including over 15 hours of police interviews, statements from juvenile witnesses, CCTV tapes, and a number of items and clothing.

Staining on a top found at the scene where Ana's body was discovered contained the DNA of Boy A.

Marce Lee Gorman of Forensic Science Ireland,examined the black top, which she said was torn and badly damaged, with parts of the fabric pulled and stretched. She also examined Ana's bra and found the fabric between the cups was torn apart and that the hooks on the bra clasp were stretched and bent, "possibly by pulling".

Blood stains were also found on the Boy A and Boy B were KILLERS front of the left cup, right strap and close to one of the hooks. These all matched Ana's blood.

The witness also examined Ana's black leggings and pants and found blood stains on the crotch area of her leggings.

Blood expert and DNA specialist John Hoade testified the blood evidence showed Boy A either assaulted Ana or was in convicted a very close proximity when she was assaulted. The black boots Boy A was wearing on the day Ana disappeared were examined and found to have blood stains on nine separate areas.

The blood stains all matched Ana's DNA profile.

The jury was also shown a long wooden stick and concrete block that were removed from the scene.

There was also a nail or staple protruding from both ends of the stick.

Mr Hoade told the court there was heavy blood staining at the charred end of the stick, and these stains all matched Ana's DNA profile. The concrete block, which was a section of a nine-inch block, had blood stains on all six surfaces.

Boy B's defence counsel told the jury the boy, who was accused of luring Ana to the site of her death, was "set up" by his co-accused.

Boy B told the officers after he returned home from school that day, Boy A called to his house and asked him to call for Ana.

He said he thought Boy A wanted to tell Ana he did not want a relationship with her, as someone had previously told him Ana liked Boy A. After a number of interviews, Boy B admitted he had been in the house with Ana and Boy A but ran away when Boy A began raping Ana.

The court also heard a number of items were seized from Boy B's house including adhesive tape that was the same brand found around Ana's neck.

The tape was found in the shed.

Boy B's father explained it was specialised tape used for insulation.

During questioning, Boy A said he was in the company of Ana on May 14, but when police told him that Ana's parents reported her missing at 8pm, he denied being with her in the period leading up to that time. Boy A returned home that evening with a number of injuries, and claimed he was attacked by two men in the local park where he had last seen her.

Ana's mother told the court she was "immediately concerned" when she discovered her daughter had left home with one of the boys.

Her father told the court her primary school years were "very happy" but she was relentlessly bullied in the months before she died.

o"Ana was a dream come true for usand always will be geraldine kriegel DUBLIN YESTERDAY


Ana Kriegel was 14 when she died victim

Derelict home in Lucan, Co Dublin SCENE

Patric and Geraldine Kriegel PARENTS

BULLIED Ana Kriegel

Boy A and Boy B were convicted KILLERS
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jun 19, 2019
Previous Article:An annual event that shows off very best.
Next Article:Evidence could've been from a horror film.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |