Printer Friendly

Boys killed by fire in den under the stairs.

TWO young brothers died when a fierce fire tore through a makeshift "den" they had created beneath the stairs at their home, an inquest heard yesterday.

Seven-year-old Lewis Jenkins and his five-year-old brother Taylor died from smoke inhalation when the blaze broke out in their end-of-terrace house on October 4, 2008.

Investigators found a disposable lighter and several tealight candles in the area where they had been playing, beneath the stairs in Milfoil Drive, Eastbourne, East Sussex.

The brothers shared the house with their mother, Denise Goldsmith, who had split from their father, Stewart Jenkins.

The inquest heard that Ms Goldsmith was approaching one-and-a-half times the legal drink-drive limit when she gave a blood sample at 4.30pm on the day of the fire.

She was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and neglect of the children following the fire but a decision was taken not to prosecute in February 2009.

The inquest continues.

CAPTION(S):

* Taylor Jenkins and his brother Lewis, who died when a fire tore through a makeshift "den"
COPYRIGHT 2011 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Oct 19, 2011
Words:171
Previous Article:Fox created security risk showing diary to Werrity.
Next Article:Inflation will drop - Mervyn.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |