Printer Friendly

Boy kidnapped on Wednesday released after payment of ransom.

Byline: Imtiaz Ali

KARACHI -- A five-year-old boy who was kidnapped from Defence Housing Authority on Wednesday afternoon in the presence of his mother was released in the early hours of Thursday after the criminals received ransom money from his family, according to police and Citizens-Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) officials.

Mohammad Abban Ghufran was kidnapped from DHA Phase-8 near an academic institution while returning from school with his mother on Wednesday, said CPLC chief Zubair Habib.

He told Dawn that two masked men in a white car intercepted the vehicle in which the boy and his mother were travelling and after snatching valuables from the woman they took the boy away with them forcibly. Shortly after the boy's family received a call from the kidnappers who demanded a ransom of Rs150 million for his release, he said, adding that after negotiations with the family the kidnappers had agreed to take Rs300,000.

He said after receiving the ransom money the kidnappers had left the boy at Askari petrol pump near Jauhar Chowrangi.

Kidnappers said to be 'educated' individuals

Soon after the kidnapping of the boy, the Sindh governor taking notice of the incident directed the CPLC and law enforcement agencies to take action for his early recovery.

Mr Habib said soon after receiving information about the kidnapping a joint team of Rangers, police's Anti-Violent Crime Cell and the CPLC launched investigation into the incident.

He believed that it was the pressure of the officials' prompt action that the kidnappers had agreed for negotiations with the affected family.

The CPLC chief said that in the cases of children's kidnapping the priority of his organisation was safe recovery of abductees, adding that the payment of a 'small amount of ransom money does not matter much'.

Talking to Dawn, Crime Investigation Agency DIG Saqib Ismail Memon agreed with the views of the CPLC chief, saying that in the cases of kidnapping the priority of officials was safe recovery of victims.

He claimed that the kidnappers of the boy were educated people. 'The case is not closed,' he said, adding that the police had got some leads and they were working on it to arrest the kidnappers.

Answering a question, the CPLC chief said the cases of kidnapping in Karachi had declined sharply. Three years ago, he added, around 200 people were kidnapped annually in the metropolis. He recalled that before the launch of Karachi operation, a total of 174 cases of kidnapping for ransom were reported in Karachi in 2013. This year eight to nine cases of kidnappings had been reported so far.

He said all law-enforcement agencies now worked in coordination against criminals.

COPYRIGHT 2017 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Dawn (Karachi, Pakistan)
Date:Dec 8, 2017
Words:505
Previous Article:Dar Club win.
Next Article:Suspect shot dead.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters