Bord na Mona man's fatal cancer linked to asbestos.
Byline: DAVID RALEIGH
A FORMER Bord na Mona employee who died from asbestos-related cancer, was exposed to the material at one of its briquette factories, his inquest heard yesterday.
Jim O'Dwyer, 80, was diagnosed last August and died in October.
The father of six was an electrical maintenance worker at the firm's factory at Derrinlough, Co Offaly, from 1960 to 1965.
It's claimed Mr O'Dwyer was also exposed to asbestos while working in the UK around the same time.
At Limerick Coroner's Court, one of his relatives also said he told him he had been exposed to the material while "mixing asbestos by hand".
The deceased, from Shannon, Co Clare, started showing symptoms 30 years later, his family said.
His postmortem showed he died from mesothelioma, an "aggressive form of cancer".
Coroner John McNamara said: "It is a marker for asbestos exposure.
"It is a dormant killer that manifests itself many years later.
"I will ask them to confirm, if they haven't already, that they have commenced an investigation to confirm there is no further risk to the public or staff of Bord na Mona at the plant in Co Offaly."
INQUEST Jim O'Dwyer