Printer Friendly

Board proposes sales tax for Wyo. colleges.

POWELL, Wyo. (AP) -- The Northwest College Board of Trustees is advocating a statewide sales tax to fund Wyoming community colleges.

The resolution won unanimous approval from the board, which oversees the college in Powell, and proposes that the tax eventually be put before voters. Their proposal will be forwarded to the other six college boards for consideration.

The proposal comes after a state task force failed to decide on a plan lbr colleges to raise money. The state provides 60 percent of the funding for community colleges. The other 40 percent comes from tuition and property taxes levied in the seven counties with colleges.

However, the colleges each serve districts that include multiple counties that pay no taxes to support them. Sixteen of Wyoming's 23 counties pay nothing to support the community colleges.
COPYRIGHT 2009 Autumn Publishing
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Community College Week
Date:Dec 14, 2009
Words:133
Previous Article:Students protest vote to close day care center.
Next Article:Microsoft gives away training vouchers in NC.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters