Printer Friendly

Blocked passage.


I live in a middle terrace house.

QAt the back there's a passageway that cuts through my neighbour's property. They will not let me use this passage, even though it's clearly marked on the deeds, and have now put a shed across it to block the way. What can I do? I can't afford to take them to court.

A Don't rule out county court action as loss of access to the rear of your property could knock thousands off its value. First, however, instruct a solicitor to check your title and write to your neighbours telling them to remove the shed and reopen the passageway.

If that doesn't work then seriously consider applying to court for an injunction.

Win the case and your neighbours may well also be ordered to pay you damages and legal costs.

Fahmida Ismail is a partner at Sydney Mitchell Solicitors. Write to Legal Advice Column, Birmingham Post, Floor 6, Fort Dunlop, Birmingham B24 9FF, or email
COPYRIGHT 2011 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Nov 10, 2011
Previous Article:What's taxed, what's not?
Next Article:Charitable dinner rounds off 'great' year for group; A round up of news from the region's legal sector in the past week.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |