Printer Friendly

Blind cord safety device is unveiled.

A SCOTTISH couple have invented a safety device to protect children from window blind cords.

Semi-ret i red John and Pat Astley, who co-founded facilities management business Mitie, have invested pounds 100,000 over the last four years.

They have developed a device with a lockable spool that keeps the cords and chains on window blinds out of reach, preventing them from becoming a choking hazard.

The invention - named Window Blind Safe (WBS) - was presented to the Scot t ish parl iament yesterday as part of a safety campaign to eliminate child deaths from window blinds.

Several children each year die from getting caught up in the cords.

John, 61, said: "Interest so far has been positive. We have had contact from blind suppliers, indicating that they are interested in offering the product alongside their blinds.

"We were shocked to read of the death of a young girl in Fife, strangled by a window blind.

"With 10 grandchildren, we suddenly realised that could have been us or any family."

The Astleys, from Inverkip, Renfrewshire, hope to sell 50,000 items and increase that to 100,000 during the next five years.

CAPTION(S):

INVENTION: John and Pat
COPYRIGHT 2011 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Business
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Feb 24, 2011
Words:197
Previous Article:Air we go with 60 new jobs and four extra routes; EasyJet spread their wings with bigger planes in Scotland.
Next Article:Wee Murphy's a law unto himself; RECORD PETS.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters