Printer Friendly

Black Wednesday: After bomb blast, quake rocks Delhi.

New Delhi, Sept. 8 -- A strong quake lasting 5-6 seconds shook Delhi at 11.28pm on Wednesday, forcing residents to run out of their houses in various parts of the city. The Met department said the quake measured 4.2 on the Richter Scale and its epicenter was Sonipat in Haryana.

There were no reports of damage to life and property in National Capital Region, neither did national or global monitoring agencies immediately reported any major earthquake in the region.

The city had a Wednesday horror when a strong bomb blast at Delhi High Court in the morning, left at least 12 people dead and over 70 injured, many of them in serious condition in hospitals.

"At first I heard a muffled sound - like a subdued explosion - and then felt the quake for many seconds," said a resident of Gurgaon. "All the furniture in my house started shaking just as we finished dinner," said Vinod Kapoor , a resident of east Delhi.

People working late hours, including in call centres, reported a strong jolt which even knocked out the electricity for a while. As the news broke on TV and the internet, anxious calls and tweets began pouring in from other cities. The tremors were felt across north India, including Kashmir and Uttarakhand.

Three held for court bomb blast

The National Investigation Agency probing Wednesday's Delhi High Court bomb blast has arrested three persons in Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir in connection with the case. The arrested persons include the owner of a cyber cafe from where the 'HuJI' mail claiming responsibility of the blast had been sent.

Police sources say that owner of the cyber cafe Global Internet Cafe at Malik Market in KishtwarKhawja Mehmood Aziz and his brother Khalid Aziz are now being questioned. It may be noted that an email claiming to be from Pakistan-based Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami (HuJI) had been sent to two television channels taking responsibility for the blast and demanding that the hanging Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru be immediately repealed.

Meanwhile, Ram Manohar Lohia hospital sources in New Delhi announced on Thursday morning that one more person injured in Wednesday's bomb blast has succumbed to his injuries taking the death toll to 12.

For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at htsyndication@hindustantimes.com

Copyright HT Media Ltd.

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company

COPYRIGHT 2011 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Asian Tribune (India)
Geographic Code:9INDI
Date:Sep 8, 2011
Words:399
Previous Article:Delhi bomb blast: "US remains shoulder to shoulder with India to fight terrorism".
Next Article:Secret Colombo US Embassy diplomatic cable (3/2009) says LTTE blocked civilians leaving battle zone.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters