Bingo hall ravaged by inferno is torn down.
Byline: Alicia Melville Smith Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org
THESE pictures show demolition under way on a fire-hit building which brought disruption to the heart of Cardiff.
The old bingo hall in the Adamsdown area of the city was destroyed by fire this week and now crews bringing the building down brick by brick. The building, which used to house the Splott Cinema, was engulfed by a huge fire on Monday afternoon.
The fire completely devastated the building and left fire crews concerned it could collapse on to neighbouring buildings.
A Cardiff council visit took place at the site yesterday and it was deemed safe, with residents now able to return to their property.
Dozens of people living in surrounding houses have been unable to return to their homes due to safety concerns.
Work to gradually pull down the 102-year-old building, which was not occupied at the time of the blaze, is now well under way.
More than 62 properties had to be evacuated after the fire broke out. Homes in Pearl Street, Agate Street and Diamond Street were all affected.
Residents have also been informed that there has been a release of material in the vicinity. Samples taken from the site have been identified as asbestos-type materials. The incident has been assessed by the Environmental Health Department and Public Health Wales, which have issued the following statement: "Older buildings may contain asbestos in some form and during a fire asbestos can be damaged and fragments of asbestos materials can spread over a wide area.
"With cement products the asbestos fibres are typically held tightly within the body of the cement, are not readily released into the air and so do not pose a significant health hazard. This is especially more so the case if the material is wet.
"We do however take these issues very seriously and will ensure a clean-up operation takes place as soon as it is safe to do so, so we can all get back to normal as soon as possible.
"Our priorities are to protect public health and protect the most vulnerable members of our community and those judged to be most at risk and also to get roads and businesses open."
Cardiff council said it was unclear how many residents had been forced to leave in total, but it had provided support to 60 people who had contacted officials.
A spokesman said demolition crews had begun using hammers and axes to bring the building down before the heavy machinery would be brought in.
For video and more pictures go to www.walesonline.co.uk
Scene of destruction where the bingo hall used to stand
Workmen demolish the old bingo hall in Pearl Street, Splott, after fire ripped through the building
Workmen trawl through the wreckage left by the fire |
A digger tears down part of the 102-year-old building
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)|
|Date:||Feb 27, 2015|
|Previous Article:||Blues boosted as Roberts is expected to return 'home'.|
|Next Article:||Thieves take gold jewellery in daytime house raid.|