Printer Friendly

Beware of mirror danger in sun.

FIRE chiefs have warned of the dangers of mirrors and glass objects sparking blazes.

It comes after a man and his wife, were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in their property on The Highway, Hawarden, during Friday afternoon.

The cause of the fire is thought to be sunlight on a mirror.

Justin Evans from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said the sun''s rays can be magnified by a lens, or a magnifying mirror, and become focused on a nearby object.

It can cause: "scorching, or charring potentially leading to smouldering or flaming ignition of the object," he said.

"In the evening, morning and during the winter, when the sun is lower on the horizon, the shallower angle at which the sun''s rays hit the earth means that it is particularly important to be aware of objects, such as magnifying vanity mirrors and glass ornaments, which may be left exposed to direct sunlight."
COPYRIGHT 2014 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Conwy, Wales)
Date:Mar 11, 2014
Words:155
Previous Article:PS10m cost to fix up line damaged by freak storms; Tons of debris deposited.
Next Article:GO-AHEAD FOR PS120M HOLIDAY VILLAGE.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters