Printer Friendly

Beware of duff chargers.

CONSUMERS in Huddersfield buying chargers could run an increased risk of electrocution if they buy the wrong ones - trading standards officers claimed.

West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service has issued a warning to be careful when buying chargers for electrical items, after conducting a survey into the safety of cheap phone and laptop chargers.

The national Citizens Advice Consumer Service helpline has received a number of consumer complaints about chargers exploding or catching fire causing damage in consumers' homes.

With more and more people owning mobile phones and laptops there is a higher demand for replacement chargers.

Trading Standards officers purchased chargers from shops and market stalls across West Yorkshire which were submitted for safety testing.

Many of them had major problems such as the wrong fuse or not having adequate insulation risking the chance of electrocution.

Most of the dangerous chargers are being imported from China and do not comply with British Safety Standards.
COPYRIGHT 2013 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:May 28, 2013
Words:154
Previous Article:Stopping Beeching in his tracks for charity; Rail spoof to raise cash.
Next Article:Store wars as rivals compete for town; Morrisons object to Aldi proposals.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters