Printer Friendly

Behavioral risk factors HIV imperil millions.

An estimated 9% of Americans aged 15-44 in 2002 engaged in sexual behavior that put them at risk of acquiring HB/infection, and 2% were at risk because they used injection drugs or crack; together, according to a report based on data from Cycle 6 of the National Survey of Family Growth, unsafe sexual behavior and drug use put 10% of men and women in this age-group at risk of infection. (1) When those who had recently been treated for an STD were included, 12% of 15-44-year-olds--14.4 million Americans--were estimated to be at risk of HIV infection because of a behavioral risk factor. The proportion of individuals with behavioral risk factors for HIV was higher among males than among females (13% vs. 11%), and was twice as high among blacks as among whites (20% vs. 10%). The level of risk also differed by education, income, residence and history of incarceration. It was never lower than 8% and reached 16-18% among those living below 150% of the federal poverty level, residents of central cities and individuals who had ever been incarcerated. In almost all demographic categories examined, 6-14% of individuals were at risk because of unsafe sexual behavior, and 2-4% because they had recently had an STD. One-third of men and women at risk of HIV had never been tested for the virus, and six in 10 had not used a condom the last time they had intercourse.

(1.) Anderson JE, Mosher WD and Chandra A, Measuring HIV risk in the U.S. population aged 15-44: results from Cycle 6 of the National Survey of Family Growth, Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics, 2006, No. 377.

FYI is compiled and written by Dore Hollander, executive editor of Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health.
COPYRIGHT 2007 The Alan Guttmacher Institute
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:FYI
Author:Hollander, Dore
Publication:Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health
Date:Mar 1, 2007
Words:294
Previous Article:Title X in California.
Next Article:The smoking gun?
Topics:


Related Articles
Lesson not learned. (FYI).
Reducing risk among men who have sex with men.
What women need to know.
Abstinence, fewer partners, condom use are complementary messages.
HIV: who should be tested?
New program will track HIV treatments and outcomes.
The cost of success.
Preventing herpes simplex virus type 2 may reduce HIV risk among some men who have sex with men.
The potential of behavior-change interventions to improve the HIV/AIDS survivorship experience: the example of smoking cessation.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters