Printer Friendly

Beetle horror as body lies upstairs.

AN infestation of "death beetles" in a tenement flat failed to alert authorities that a body had been lying on the floor above for at least two months.

Robert Brown, 53, was found dead in his home by workmen carrying out renovation work four days ago.

Last night his downstairs neighbour spoke of his anger that the body had remained undetected for so long.

And he told how two weeks before Mr Brown's body was discovered, environmental health officers had fumigated his flat after he complained about an insect infestation.

George Bellingham, 41, said: "The health people told me the insects were leather beetles, also known as death beetles. They said the beetles fed off carcasses and that if I had a loft and a rat had died, the beetles would feed off it and then come into the house looking for more food.

"But they never checked to see if anything was wrong in the flat upstairs.

"I was disgusted when I found out the man had been there for so long."

Mr Brown had moved into the flat into Hamilton Street, Camelon, Falkirk about a year ago.

A police spokesman said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances connected with his death.

No one from Falkirk Council or Link Housing Association, Falkirk, who own the tenement, were available for comment last night.
COPYRIGHT 1998 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1998 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Aitken, Vivienne
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Oct 26, 1998
Words:226
Previous Article:SO HOW WAS IT FOR YOU?; Why some wait and others won't.
Next Article:It's a poor show for dukes' neighbours.


Related Articles
Movie motors; The Love Bug (1969); Herbie spiced up our lives.
INVASION OF THE TERMITES; House-eating insects are set to munch across Britain.
A shock to the cistern.
This loo seat is bugged!
Corpse lay rotting in flat for 18 months; Neighbours' home became infested with maggots and beetles.
Mini-robot sets new course for cancer therapy.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters