Printer Friendly

Becks wins 'hate campaign' case.

Byline: By JAN COLLEY

DAVID Beckham accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages yesterday over a claim that he had mounted a telephone hate campaign against former nanny Abbie Gibson.

The England football captain had sued MGN Limited over a story in The People last month, which was also published on the newspaper's website.

Solicitor Gerrard Tyrrell told Mr Justice Gray at London's High Court that the story was headed 'Becks phone fury. England ace plagues ex-nanny with hate calls. Amazing nasty message hours before Live 8 gig.' MGN had apologised, agreed to pay Beckham substantial damages and his legal costs and undertook not to repeat the allegations.

Beckham was not in court for the brief hearing.

Mr Tyrrell said the newspaper alleged that Beckham 'has mounted an astonishing telephone hate campaign against his former nanny'.

It went on to claim that he had been 'plaguing Abbie Gibson with a string of abusive messages since she quit her job four months ago'.

A 'Beckham family source' was also quoted. Mr Tyrrell said Beckham had not made any telephone call of the sort described in the article, nor indeed had he spoken to Ms Gibson since she resigned her employment in April 2005.

'The defendants acknowledge that David Beckham did not behave in the manner reported and that the article was incorrect.

'The defendants also accept that the quotes attributed to a supposed ' Beckham family source' had nothing to do with either David Beckham or his wife.'

Rachel Glavin, for MGN, said that they accepted all that Mr Tyrrell had said. "The defendants apologise to Mr Beckham for the distress and injury caused to him.'

n In separate proceedings in April, another High Court judge, Mr Justice Eady, accepted undertakings from Ms Gibson - pending any trial or further court order - not to disclose further 'confidential' information about the couple's marriage.

The court heard that 27-year-old Ms Gibson was also prepared to 'hold' the pounds 125,000 she received for a story which appeared in the News of the World that month
COPYRIGHT 2005 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Aug 4, 2005
Words:338
Previous Article:Bomb claim student cleared.
Next Article:A-bomb effects remain unclear.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |