Battler Baz's rumble with Saville takes top fight title; BOXING.
BAZ CAREY has walked away from boxing with "a nice surprise."
His blood-and-thunder punch up with Steve Saville for the vacant Midlands Area lightweight championship in Wolverhampton last November scooped the Fight-of-the-Year award at the Midlands Area Council's annual dinner.
Carey was beaten in seven rounds of a sensational scrap and the all-action battler from Coventry - still the only British boxer to last the distance with Amir Khan - went on to announce his retirement from the ring earlier this year.
"It was a nice surprise to get the award for fight of the year," said the 38-yearold, "but it was a good fight and I think we deserved it.
"We have stayed friends since the fight and I wish Steve all the best for the future."
Carey expects to be in the crowd at Wolverhampton Civic Hall on Friday (SEPT 18) when Saville battles Jon Baguley for the vacant English lightweight title.
Carey hopes to stay involved in boxing as a manager or trainer and says he is currently looking to work with children with behavioural difficulties.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)|
|Date:||Sep 12, 2009|
|Previous Article:||TV Sport.|
|Next Article:||Webster in top form on day two; GOLF.|