Barn conversions... If you're after plenty of space, something a bit different and bags of character then a barn conversion could be the one for you. Here are some of the best on offer around Wales.
Hard floor finishes throughout include limestone tiles and reclaimed floorboards with salvaged, traditional cast iron radiators throughout. Central heating is oil fired and there is a private water supply.
Where: Gigman Barn, St Mary Church, Cowbridge Price: PS945,000 Contact: Herbert R Thomas on 01446 772911.
2. TYTHE BARN, PEMBROKESHIRE Tythe Barn is an impressive Grade II Listed barn conversion that successfully blends original character features with quality contemporary touches. The property has a central living room and four bedrooms and enjoys generous landscaped and gated grounds with a gravel forecourt and ample patio and decked areas.
Located amongst a courtyard of converted barns that were part of the Penty Parc Mansion Estate, Tythe Barn is a short drive to the popular local towns of Haverfordwest and Narberth and the beaches on the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Where: Clarbeston Road, near Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire Price: PS379,000 Contact: Savills on 029 2036 8930.
3. THE MALT HOUSE, CAERPHILLY Dating back to 1794, The Malt House was renovated to a high specification in 1999.
The character barn enjoys a large landscaped 0.3 acre south facing garden and a newly-built substantial detached double garage with electronic fob operated doors and a wide private gated entrance drive with ample parking for four cars and at the side of the property is a further parking area for three cars.
The property benefits from oil-fired heating with an AGA range cooker, a modern roof, replacement PVC hardwood effect double glazed windows, and a private water supply.
This unique character property whilst enjoying a truly relaxing rural location is still within good access to local amenities and close to Caerphilly, Cardiff, the A470 and the M4.
Where: Pandy Mawr Road, Caerphilly Price: PS459,950 Contact: pa black on 0845 045 0461.
4. FIR TREE BARN, GROESFAEN This stone-built character barn conversion has modern wellappointed accommodation and quality fittings in a convenient, yet rural position.
It briefly comprises of an entrance hall, living room, family room, study and galleried sitting area, farmhouse kitchen/dining room with AGA, four bedrooms, luxury ensuite bathroom, family bathroom and shower room. There is extensive parking and private lawned and paved gardens.
It is located in a small development of four attached properties in a rural yet highly-convenient location with excellent access to the nearby centre of Llantrisant/Talbot Green and within a few minutes drive of junction 34 of the M4 allowing convenient commuting travel to all major centres. Where: Croffta Lane, Groesfaen, Pontyclun Price: PS370,000 Contact: Herbert R Thomas on 01446 772911.
5. GELLI BARN, PONTARDAWE This house has an abundance of character and rustic charm with many original features. The exposed stone wall with arrow slit windows is a nice touch, with imported slate floors and zone controlled underfloor heating to the ground floor, beamed ceilings and cosy wood burning fireplace.
With two reception rooms, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, the property is situated in around 1.5 acres and offers spectacular countryside views.
Set behind a five bar gate with plenty of parking, a converted hay loft providing parking for two cars, workshop area and staircase to a room above. The gardens stretch out in front of you offering spectacular views of the surrounding countryside, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains, and boasts an attractive decked terrace and vegetable garden to the rear.
Where: Tramway Road, Gellinudd, Pontardawe Price: PS485,000 Contact: Fine and Country on 01792 367301.
6. POND FARM, EWENNY A barn conversion offering a blend of traditional and contemporary with flagstone flooring, exposed beams and roofing timbers and bespoke oak doors and fittings. The property is accessed via an arched stone doorway into a reception hall with steps leading down to the principal formal lounge with its deep limestone surrounded working fireplace. Pond Farm is situated in a secluded countryside setting and has five bedrooms, three bathrooms (two are en-suite), five reception rooms, a kitchen and breakfast room, and a utility room. Outside there are landscaped gardens and grounds of around 1.03 acres. There is ample off-road parking and it is understood permission has been granted for a detached double garage with studio flat over.
Where: Llampha, Ewenny, Near Cowbridge, Vale Of Glamorgan Price: PS1,350,000 Contact: Watts and Morgan